PDA

View Full Version : First time roll cage

robertjra
04-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Hello!! this will be my first roll cage install. I have a 1969 Camaro have some questions. The roll cage is a Jegster 12 point with the front struts, I will be removing the front dash, and the front firewall. how high do I have to have the cross bar and can it be removed for ease to get into the rear seat? the instructions are vague at best, any tips or pointers would help thanks!!

LSX67
04-28-2013, 05:18 AM
I install them at the first bend from the bottom and yes you came install quick release on the cross bar and still be legal. I would sagest installing swing outs on the door bars as well. Hope this helps.

robertjra
04-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Thank you yes that helps if I install the swing outs on the door bars is that still legal? I was thinking of making my own door bars ones that look like the tiger cage door bars nice and low. I want to drive this car in the Silver State race by 2015 that will be my 5 year mark from when I started the rebuild

LSX67
04-28-2013, 06:23 PM
I would check the rules but if you are going to do it that way I would weld it in. When it's down low you can get in and out easy.

Doodler
05-01-2013, 02:42 AM
I would suggest doing swing-outs if you want it to be easier to get out. Door bars ideally should come up to around shoulder height. Here is mine.

robertjra
05-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Cool thanks!

Jok3r
05-01-2013, 07:25 PM
the rule book says the bar must cross above your elbow and below your shoulder. usually must be DOM tubing or chromoly a swing out mid bar is allowed for access to the rear seats i believe, but it has to be double thick or something.
from nhra>
13.99-12.0- 'NHRA mandates that a steel loop be placed just behind the front U-joint of the driveshaft. A universal driveshaft loop is available from Lakewood that bolts to the floorpan. A rollbar is required in this e.t. bracket only if the car is a convertible.'

for 11.99-11.0; 'The classic four-point bar is no longer acceptable. The new standard is mild-steel tubing of at least .120-inch wall thickness (most chassis companies, like Art Morrison, use .134-inch wall tubing) that includes a forward-running side bar from the main hoop past the driver’s shoulder. This bar is only required on the driver’s side, but most systems include both sides for a six-point rollbar.'
*most bars have to be welded, some sanctioning bodies only allow TIG. i would just weld em all and have passenger climb around if they want a ride.
and for 10.99 and faster there are even more rules like no c-clip axles, window nets, etc