PDA

View Full Version : advantage of lowered springs opposed to cutting?

crazyfireman
08-18-2005, 05:29 PM
I heated(yeah I know this is horrible) my springs and now the time has come to lower the car right. Should I buy 2" lowered springs or buy factory springs and cut them? Thanks this sight has been extremely helpful!!!

Supercharged 86
08-18-2005, 07:53 PM
The only difference I know of is that cutting the springs increases the spring rate. Most lowering springs are a higher rate than stock so there may not be much of a difference.

astroracer
08-19-2005, 02:10 AM
Buy the lowering springs. Like the other poster said cutting the stock spring drastically changes the rate and a "good" lowering spring will have the correct rate for your application. Also some of the better springs will be progressively wound which is better yet.
Mark

vanzuuk1
08-19-2005, 02:14 AM
You may still have to cut the two inch lowering springs, they may even sit higher then what you have now.

dhardison
08-19-2005, 05:44 AM
You may still have to cut the two inch lowering springs, they may even sit higher then what you have now.

My Hotchkis coils sat higher than the stock (i.e. worn out) coils they replaced. I cut a full coil from the Hotchkis and now the front is very "springy" whereas it was just stiff before the cut. It's bad enough that I'm going to replace them again.

Dan

CAMAROBOY69
08-19-2005, 05:56 AM
I cut my stock springs and I would do it over again and again on any car. My car rides great and handles incredible. I cut mine with a cutting disk on a grinder. Like mentioned above. More than likely you will end up cutting a brand new set of lowered coils anyway to get the perfect stance you want. I lowered my entire front end for free!!

dhardison
08-19-2005, 05:57 AM
I cut my stock springs and I would do it over again and again on any car. My car rides great and handles incredible. I cut mine with a cutting disk on a grinder.

Adam, What brand coils do you have?

I cut mine with a disc grinder as well.

Dan

CAMAROBOY69
08-19-2005, 05:59 AM
Stock springs from the factory. I edited that post with more info. :)

dhardison
08-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Stock springs from the factory. I edited that post with more info. :)

Are your stock coils "new replacement" coils, or the original factory coils that came on the car? I think the Hotchkis are progressively wound, and cutting them basically ruined them, at least their ride quality. I'm considering removing the Hotchkis, installing stock replacement coils and cutting them to get the correct ride height.

Thanks,
Dan

CAMAROBOY69
08-19-2005, 06:06 AM
Original from the factory. Well they came with the car when I bought it so I guess no one really knows for sure but they sure looked really old. The cool part is my car hasnt settled at all in a year since I cut them. :)

68BNUT
08-19-2005, 06:27 AM
You can just get the hidden adjusters and some 9 inch springs?? Put some 700# afco's with adjusters and you can change your ride height when ever you want. (as long as you have a jack and some tools hahahaha)

dhardison
08-19-2005, 06:31 AM
Sorry to highjack the thread, but does anyone know what the # rating of factory coils would've been? (For a 1st-gen Camaro/3rd-gen Nova)

dhardison
08-19-2005, 06:33 AM
You can just get the hidden adjusters and some 9 inch springs?? Put some 700# afco's with adjusters and you can change your ride height when ever you want. (as long as you have a jack and some tools hahahaha)

What's the best source for Afco springs and the hidden adjusters you mention?

Thanks,
Dan

MarkM66
08-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Dan,

Check speedwaymotors.com for those adjustors. They have pretty good deals on springs of all rates too.

JLM
08-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Sorry to highjack the thread, but does anyone know what the # rating of factory coils would've been? (For a 1st-gen Camaro/3rd-gen Nova)

Per David Pozi's site they are around 300# and 325# for Z cars.

I agree with the AFCO springs and hidden adjusters. This is the route I'll be taking. The springs are all of $50.00 a pice and the adjusters are around $30.00 a piece. you could do your whole front end with adjastability and the performance benefit of higher rate springs for under $200.00

crazyfireman
08-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all the insight, I think I will buy factory replacement springs and cut them, My car actually rides and drives good with the heated distorted springs but I know that it isnt done right so I want to replace them.