PDA

View Full Version : thinkn of autoX'in my 66 coupe

groho
04-16-2013, 05:43 PM
I had the opportunity to drive the SRTexperience at Mazda raceway laguna seca that allowed me to drive the track and do auto cross. I was hooked! This was supposed to be a bucket list check off that turned into ...this is awesome! I went to a recent scca solo and was stunned by the nice people and left thinking I can do this! I've got a 66 mustang thats gutted, with a rebuilt running drive train, strong 289, custom c4, 3:25 track-loc, new grab-a-track susp, subframe, and front torque boxes. The only thing I can think of is a shelby drop, 18" el-cheapo wheels, and rack&pinion and good seats, and I should be able to do this. The requirement is to be able to drive the car to and from the track. Am I missing anything?

groho
04-16-2013, 06:29 PM
BTW, I've also thought about boxing in the existing upper and lower control arms since ill have them off. Wondering if this is a better alternative, cheaper too, rather than total control or similar. May not be as good but better than stock.

chevelletiger
04-18-2013, 08:04 AM
boxing the arms sounds good.my step son went to delmar g.g this yr with me and to say the least,hes hooked and wants a 65-66 stang fastback or coupe.im looking for a shell because its going to be a stripped down deal like what your doing.good luck on your project.

Todd in Vancouver
04-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Went to my first Autocross class last night and I'm doing the at track day this Saturday and looking forward to trying it out. I've been building and racing cars for decades and I have to say I learned a lot last night in the beginner class of Autocross. If you get a chance take a class at a local club, it'll be worth your time.