PDA

View Full Version : car has episodes of no power

69cam1219
04-13-2013, 06:58 AM
A few times now I've been out in my car and I get stranded because the car is losing power somewhere. When I turn the key nothing happens, the gauges are not turning on and flashers and headlight don't even work. Now this only does this sometimes. Yesterday I drove about 12 miles to the grocery store without problems. Got back in the car to leave, started the car drove up to the red light and it lost power.

I had a problem before where the injectors were not activating. It was a wire in the back of the fuse box that was not completely stripped when soldered and wasn't making a good connection. I'm thinking it might be the same thing but somewhere else. When I lose power, the line from the battery to the fuse box is hot all the way up to the fuse box. The relays on the top are hot and the big fuses on the bottom and side are hot but the regular fuses in the middle are not getting power and the red light in the middle of the fuse box doesn't come on. its hard to check whats going on because i cant get it to lose power when im at home. Its done this when im in the car away from home. When it does happen and you start tinkering with it it will come back on so that's why I'm thinking a wire with a lose connection.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm kinda scared to drive it because of this. Its a 69 camaro with an Ls3.

Todd in Vancouver
04-13-2013, 09:43 AM
First rule is always check, clean and tighten all grounds. Then start up and wiggle , shake wires and harness to look for bad connections. Unfortunately you will need it to fail to find the repair.

David Pozzi
04-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Pull that panel out of its box & check all the leads on the back side. I had no fuel pump & found a lead pulled out OD a fuse socket, same Box as yours.

69cam1219
04-19-2013, 02:30 PM
All the orange wires going into the fuses are hot. Nothing coming out anywhere is hot. It might just supposed to be that way I've never really messed with anything like this before. Just trying to narrow down as much as I can before I take the car back to the person who put the engine in for me.