PDA

View Full Version : gas tank filler hole.

68BadBird
04-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Alright so heres the deal... bought a gas tank for a 69 firebird yesterday, and didn't do the research (stupid mistake) but anyway when I tried to put it in today I figured out it wouldn't work. The tank is sumped with 1/2 inch fittings. I have the tank for the next stage of my build, and i really wanted to use it to save some money. so I looked into the 69 rear license plate bracket it looks like it will work. Has anyone done this? and are there pre made patch panels for this? I can fabricate, but I'm extremely new to it (I did my first fabricating making my wheel tubs about a week ago). any help you guys could offer would be appreciated.

BuzzKillian
04-09-2013, 05:25 PM
A couple pictures might help. Where are the 1/2" fittings?

68BadBird
04-09-2013, 05:58 PM
I don't know if the picture will work because I'm on my phone, but this is how the gas tank looks. The filler neck is designed to go through the hole that the license plate covers.

BuzzKillian
04-11-2013, 02:15 PM
I think I would try to find a used '69 tail panel. Maybe one someone cut out to replace, and use that to graft to your 68 tail panel.

If that won't work... does the 69 filler neck come up in the same spot as the 68 if you were to cut off the bent section?

68BadBird
04-11-2013, 04:38 PM
wow thats a really good idea... Im not sure. I need help to see it and havent had anyone home lately to hold it so i can look. ill check on that tomorrow. I like the look of the tail panel being clean tho so i might look for a used one. that or ill just have to make one.. i have a bunch of metal laying around from my tubs, i just didnt know if there was an easier way.