PDA

View Full Version : Brake swap, soft pedal need ideas.

Anthony k
04-07-2013, 05:09 PM
69 camaro

swaped from 4 wheel disc to.......

c5 front calipers, 13" rotors.
kore brake lines

rear, "the right stuff" 11" rear kit.

9" dual booster kit from NPD. Explained what I had and the suggested the one I bought. 1.25 bore I believe. I'll check again to be sure.
disc/disc master

SSBC adj prop valve.

Adjusted the push rod in the booster to just touch the master cyl.

Lines from master to prop to front brakes are 3/16

rear is 3/16 to prop then main line to rear is 1/4" then 3/16 after the split.
kore brake line back there too.

bled rear brakes as instructed by right stuff.

Fronts normally bled.

I have a vac can also. Comp 280h cam. Not a big cam at all.

pedal is very soft and goes to floor

Chris71RS
04-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Assuming you're not seeing any fluid leaking from any of the connections, I'm wondering if the rear pads were adjusted. If I recall, you had to engage and release the e-brake several times before the rear pads would tighten against the rotors. If the e-brake adjustment doesn't work, there's a bolt on the rear caliper that brings the pads tight against the rotor. You simply adjust the bolt so the pads are snug against the rotors. If the pads aren't snug, it could cause the soft pedal you're describing.

Anthony k
04-08-2013, 03:31 AM
Assuming you're not seeing any fluid leaking from any of the connections, I'm wondering if the rear pads were adjusted. If I recall, you had to engage and release the e-brake several times before the rear pads would tighten against the rotors. If the e-brake adjustment doesn't work, there's a bolt on the rear caliper that brings the pads tight against the rotor. You simply adjust the bolt so the pads are snug against the rotors. If the pads aren't snug, it could cause the soft pedal you're describing.

good idea. ill try that tonight.

parsonsj
04-08-2013, 03:40 AM
Soft pedal is usually air in the lines.

Thephranc
04-08-2013, 04:24 AM
Get a positive pressure bleeder that forces fluid up instead of trying to suck air down.

Anthony k
04-08-2013, 05:48 AM
Soft pedal is usually air in the lines.

I bled the hell out of them, RR,LR,FR,LF.

Topped off fluid after a few pumps on each

Went through all, then back one more time.

Anthony k
04-08-2013, 05:48 AM
Get a positive pressure bleeder that forces fluid up instead of trying to suck air down.

I'll try to find one. Thanks.

parsonsj
04-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Did you observe air bubbles coming through the bleed ports that eventually stopped?

Anthony k
04-08-2013, 07:15 AM
In the master? Yes.

Mr.VENGEANCE
04-08-2013, 08:05 AM
pressure bleeder is your god...

Anthony k
04-08-2013, 08:07 AM
I've found motive and Phoenix systems. Which do you prefer. I'll be ordering today!

Thephranc
04-08-2013, 09:13 AM
I have the Phoenix. And it just plain works.

Anthony k
04-08-2013, 09:29 AM
The $90 kit or the $400 kit?

parsonsj
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
At the calipers is what I was asking about.

While I use the Motive master cylinder reservoir pressure bleeder myself, it doesn't fit everything. I still sometimes have to get an assistant and do the old down/up mambo.

Anthony k
04-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Yes, bled till no more bubbles out of bleeders

Anthony k
04-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Pads are right up against rotors

Thephranc
04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
The $90 kit or the $400 kit?

It would be the $90 kit but you can get it cheaper at Summit.

MonzaRacer
04-08-2013, 08:55 PM
The MaxPro setup was the one I was given after they wanted to use my email and likeness for new manual. I love my Phoenix Injector, on my third one. Got one about 95 or 96, then replaced it ,as it was worn out and superseded, in like 04 05 then sent them a pretty glowing email about how it made me money for flushing brakes and bleeding brakes after line replacement.
Awesome tools. For DIY guy the V12 s fine. I like new MaxPro,,and want the flashlight holder for it. Awesome tool.

Anthony k
04-14-2013, 09:23 AM
I borrowed a snap-on/blue point bleeder. Started from the beginning.

At first pedal goes to the floor, but I can pump it up and get a acceptable pedal. Although I'd like it a bit higher

Any other leads?

woody80z28
04-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Sure sounds like air if you can pump up the pedal.

Anthony k
04-15-2013, 11:21 AM
I found this on mark Williams site

1) Air in system. Bleed brakes, making sure that the bleed valve is the highest point.
2) Disc warped (saucer shaped). Replace or surface rotors
3) Calipers not square with disc. Check housing end alignment, both concentricity and squareness.
4) Linings worn on taper. Make sure that caliper is centered over the rotor and the caliper bracket is not deflecting.
5) Master cylinder bore too small creating excessive high line pressure. Match master cylinder to system.
6) Master cylinder deflection. Stiffen master cylinder mounts

Only problem I can see is the 1" master. Im good on all other counts. I don't see how I could still have air.

Thephranc
04-15-2013, 12:18 PM
I sent the better part of 3 days bleeding my MX-6 when I redid the entire brake system. Sometimes you just have to keep going.Also every time you pump the brakes you push the bubble back down so if you are positive pressure bleeding you may just be pushing the bubble back and forth with out actually pushing all the way out.

Anthony k
04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
I was/am using a bleeder that sucks from the caliper out.

Hydratech®
04-15-2013, 04:29 PM
http://hydratechbraking.com/braketech1.html

MARBIL
04-15-2013, 07:07 PM
did you bench bleed the master?
power bleeders like mighty vac do work well.