PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a living building and selling pro-touring cars?

simonsez
09-06-2004, 05:06 PM
My question, being new on this site is...

Can you make a living building and selling pro-touring cars?

I have a dream to own a business building and selling pro-touring cars. I am 24. I went through the automotive technician program at the local tech college, and have been working at a Chevy dealership for 3 and a half years. I have the motivation and will do anything to learn the necessary skills. Am I crazy or can this be done? Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MrQuick
09-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Well it all depends on how much you have in the build. A well modifyed Camaro say a 69' CAN fetch a 30-40k price tag but finding the buyer is hard. But then 30-40k is probably what you'll have in it. Ebay and auctions would be the best bet on getting the money.But the averge buying public isn't going to see the P-T side of the car, just a nice Camaro.
If you wanna make the money,try the building for customers side of it.This way labor can be factored in.Most cases you eat the labor side of a build and sell. I plan on building to a customers needs,building a selling and building and exporting to make my cash. You'd be suprised what people in other countries pay for US iron. Right now I build cars for a hobby, I make my money at a dealership too.Union 6 year master tech journey man pays real nice.

ProdigyCustoms
09-07-2004, 04:51 AM
The problem with Pro Tour cars, or Pro Street, Street Rods, whatever, is the personalization that goes into any of these. We have always had good sucsess selling original type cars, Camaros and Chevelles being our speciality, but we also branch out into others from time to time. Basically when you restore one original, you are going back to factory, and there is nothing to sour that type of buyer because they are seeking an original. As soon as you modify it and change color, seats, even simple stuff like wheels, header - intake-carb, you have personalized it and limited you buyer base.
It is a standard rule of thumb if you have something pro built, a custom whatever, you will net back half you investment. If you are lucky and produce a star car, it may bring crazy money it's day in the lime light, but I dare say you average $60k+ pro Touring car will struggle to see $40K in the general marketplace.
With all that said though, as mentioned in another post. We intend to try something with a small run of cars, Pro Tour style, but plan on being a "production" run of sorts.
I would caution trying to build onesy, twosies and trying to sell for profit. The best thing to do is build yourself one, put it for sale, and test the waters. Worst thing you can do is be stuck with a killer car.