PDA

View Full Version : ORB vs AN hose ends?

dontlifttoshift
04-04-2013, 10:18 AM
When plumbing components that are equipped with ORB female fittings, like a dry sump tank, is there an advantage to using the standard ORB to AN adapter and then an AN hose end?

It seems to me, if I can get an ORB hose end wouldn't that be the better way to go? One less connection to possibly leak and one less fitting to buy.

Thoughts?

carbuff
04-04-2013, 11:21 AM
I haven't looked specifically for an ORB hose end, but the one thing when making any kind of fittings is to (in my opinion) try and have at least one of the 2 ends be a straight. Trying to correctly 'clock' 2 angled ends is always a pain.

We just installed a pair of the ORB adapters in the II Much fuel vents installed in my car. When I purchased them, I didn't even look for the ORB ends, but it appears they are available. In my application, I would prefer to be able to remove just the hose though if I needed to, rather than trying to get to the fitting to unscrew it from the base of the vent. It would be a really tight fit. For the application you describe, you would perhaps have more space to access it.

In the end, it may come down to how many times you need to install/remove the fitting. I think that would be easier, and perhaps less wear, to unscrew the end from an adapter than to have to unscrew it from the device you are attaching to directly. Worded better, I'd rather leave whatever fitting I screw into the tank always in the tank and never remove it, instead removing the hose via an AN hose end.

I'll be curious as to other opinions as well...

parsonsj
04-04-2013, 11:33 AM
It seems to me, if I can get an ORB hose end wouldn't that be the better way to go? One less connection to possibly leak and one less fitting to buy.That's my take, though it takes more planning to pull it off.

dontlifttoshift
04-05-2013, 03:51 AM
So I am not way off base then. Ease and quickness of disassembly crossed my mind and sections that will come apart more frequently than others will maintain the adapter to AN hose setup.

Bryce
04-05-2013, 06:15 AM
So I am not way off base then. Ease and quickness of disassembly crossed my mind and sections that will come apart more frequently than others will maintain the adapter to AN hose setup.

That was the only downside I could think of. Make sure you can easily take apart the components.

2wolf_Michael
04-07-2013, 06:53 AM
I have always preferred to run a straight or 90* fitting at the attachment point of a product and then run the hose and mainly if possible only use straight end fittings. I have always had a hard time getting ends to thread together properly when dealing with multiple angle connections. Plus, with straight ends it is easier to replace the line in an emergency or when needed.