PDA

View Full Version : Dynabat vs. Optima!

TheRoaringEagle
08-15-2005, 11:52 PM
I want/need a second battery and was going to match my Optima with another Optima. But I saw an ad for Dyna-bat by www.performancedistributors.com and was wondering if anybody has had experiences with this battery?

OR if you're good at battery lingo, can tell me which one is best for the street.

BTW I had a CSR Mini High Torque starter that always came loose (billet adapter for staggered 400 sbc) but never failed to crank. Now I'm using a stock starter that doesn't come loose and crunch the flexplate, but seems like it drains the battery when it's cranked more than twice in a row......

68LSS1
08-16-2005, 12:44 AM
I have a friend running one in a '99 SS w/415ci solid roller LS1. He likes it but the reserve isn't very good. You only get a few chances to start it and you definately don't want to use it to crank the engine through to adjust your solid rollers. With it not being your primary battey you may not have these issues but I'd be curious as to your reasons for wanting/needing a second battery. If it's for stereo equipment or along the same line you'd be better off with the Optima due to their reserve. The red top in group 75/25 is 25a for 90 minutes. The Dynabat is 16a. They both have a specific use and are good for that use but we need more info on your intended use.

TheRoaringEagle
08-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Well the initial idea for a second battery is to have it in reserve for self jump starting or increasing the starting power, it seems like I need more power for the stock starter (12:1 comp?) and now I figure I might need the extra power for my stereo as well. So I guess the Optima would be a better choice. The Dyna-bat looks cool and light though.

Do you think, if I didn't need the battery for starting power, that I would need a second battery it my stereo consisted of just a CD player, 450 RMS watt amp for 2 12" Subs, and 4 speakers run off the head unit? Using a 140 amp alt.