PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock carb tuning for autocross

Chris_67SS
03-24-2013, 04:48 PM
My car is experiencing a bog right after turning in when autocrossing, also on freeway cloverleaf on ramps. The old holley never had this problem. Just wondering if anybody has had any luck tuning the Edelbrock AVS for hard turns. Tried changing float levels up/down, fuel pressure 6 psi.

speedmob
05-15-2013, 04:56 AM
i had the same problem. I found if you can adjust the float up to 3/8 from the specified 7/16 and keep bumping up the pressure a little bit at a time you can knock most of the bog / fuel starvation out. not too hard just time consuming

Ron Sutton
05-15-2013, 07:43 AM
That's interesting Speedmob.

I have never ran the Edelbrock. I have always used Holley, Demon, QFT, etc. (more race style carbs) when we're not using fuel injection , so I don't have any track experience with this carb.

Why do you think it runs out of fuel? Is the bowl volume that small ?

speedmob
05-15-2013, 09:12 AM
That's interesting Speedmob.

I have never ran the Edelbrock. I have always used Holley, Demon, QFT, etc. (more race style carbs) when we're not using fuel injection , so I don't have any track experience with this carb.

Why do you think it runs out of fuel? Is the bowl volume that small ?

not so much running out of fuel per se but more of what happens is a starvation in the inside bowl depending on what way your turning. Its like the holleys starving issue on hard acceleration. Ive tried baffling and float bracing but its a pretty smalll change if any. the major downfall is jet and metering rod placement, but then again carter and all those engineers never tested for .85 + g's going on haha

Ron Sutton
05-15-2013, 09:41 AM
That ... (the g-force moving fuel away from jet & metering rods) ... makes way more sense.

We've figured out solutions for these problems with the Holley & Holley clones.

Would you say this problem makes the the Carter/Edelbrock carb less than ideal for Autocross & road course track days? Or does yours work fine now with the higher float level & higher fuel pressure?

speedmob
05-15-2013, 09:53 AM
mine is far from ideal for auto cross events. i have had some luck with the new demon 3 barrel though. the goggle valve secondaries work really well and you need to be really hard through a corner to get fuel issues to sprout up. im sure if there was ample time to get some setups tested with a carter/ eddy it could be a contender i just didnt like the size as it was anyway for the track days so i went with the newest demon and love it.

Ron Sutton
05-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Best wishes !

speedmob
05-15-2013, 10:09 AM
to clarify i meant outside bowl in a turn*