PDA

View Full Version : Protex latches

87camaroZ28
03-23-2013, 04:04 AM
OK, itís time share one of my hair-brained ideas and get some feedback from those of you who are knowledgeable of such things. My problem is that I have cool ideas that are not necessarily appropriate for my project or I just throw common since out the window so sometimes I need a voice of reason to bring me back to reality. My project is an 87 Camaro Z28 and I have an American Sports Car fiberglass nose to go on the car. My plans are to rework the inner bumper support to hold the power steering, oil and transmission coolers. Now, my crazy idea is about attaching the fiberglass nose to the steel fenders and make it removable by using Protex CatchBolt Flat Panel Body Latches. Anyone who has worked on a lowered vehicle with a long nose like the 3rd gen Camaro knows that it can be a PITA. Iím thinking that the header panel which holds the headlights could be intergraded into the nose cone and a couple quick connects for the wiring would be a neat set up. Wrap the nose cone in 3m carbon fiber so I donít have a lot of paint chips generated by vibration. Now with the nose removed the jack slides under the car and I have access to the coolers and the reach to the under hood components is reduced. What do you guys think?

astroracer
03-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Having an easily removable nose would be good (unless you wear glasses...) I don't care for the look of those latches though... Unless you are thinking about mounting them "inside" the car...
If you want to do this think about building a tubular sub-frame to carry the nose. Build it out of 3/4 od round tube then attach round tube "sockets" to the car frame that the new structure can slide into. Put in a few quickie pins and you have a hidden quick release nose.
I would have ALL of the intended components on hand while you are building the structure.
Mark

87camaroZ28
03-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the input. I have thought about the tubular subframe/bumper support and I think of it as being similar to what Ron did with his $5000.00 Mustang. You are right about the latches impacting the looks of the car, placement would be critical, maybe they could be powdercoated body color to reduce their visual impact or it may have to be a compromise to embrace. I think the removable nose is a good idea but it will take some fabrication and has to be well thought out which is why I am asking for opinons and ideas. I have a few more months before I start back on this project so I have some time to decide if it's just too impractical or if it is worth the time and effort. I'll keep looking for mounting solutions. By the way, your project is very unique and I like the direction you are taking it.

Greg

2wolf_Michael
03-24-2013, 04:58 AM
Another option would be to use Aerocatch 3 latches, I believe that is the right series. I know several DSR styled track cars are using them. Also look at a few of the DSR based websites for ideas on how to design or layout your latches.

87camaroZ28
03-25-2013, 04:35 AM
I hadn't seen these! Thanks you very much for sharing with me. The aerocatch 3s are much easier to install and hide. If I move forward with this I think these will fit the application nicely.

Greg

87camaroZ28
03-25-2013, 04:38 AM
I hadn't seen these! Thanks you very much for sharing with me. The aerocatch 3s are much easier to install and hide. If I move forward with this I think these will fit the application nicely.

Greg