PDA

View Full Version : turbo size

CamaroAJ
08-15-2005, 07:06 PM
so i ordered my turbos a few months ago and the guy at forced inductions said that 2 T04E turbos will support upto 1000 horse on a 421 small block chevy. so i got them out of the box the other day and noticed a A/R .50 on the compressor housing. i'm wondering if these are the right size, the compressor is .50 A/R, the turbine is .68.
there on master powers web site http://www.masterpower.com.br/eng_framese

810011 TO4E TURBO EX. HIGH-PERFORMANCE TO E.U.A
EX: TO4 64 RT: TA 58,16 MONOFLUXO INLET T4
TURBINE .68 OPEN, COMPRESSOR .50 VOLUTE

i have a feeling there not the correct size for what i want, i'm looking for around 1000 horse when its cranked up but will be keept around 500-700 horse most of the time. what do you guys think?

myclone
08-16-2005, 02:02 AM
While turbo sizing is a HUGELY application specific type deal keep in mind that with twins you can use some fairly small turbos to achieve the air flow you are after. IMO the A/R for the turbine side is ok without knowing more info on your combination since it will provide a decent spool up rate vs air flow.

Be very cautious of falling into the typical "bigger is better" on A/R ratios and turbo sizing (Im guilty of it too) as most of what you read in the mags is bordering on what 75% of us would put up with on even a weekend toy let alone a driver. While huge turbos with mongo sized A/R gets all the oohhhs and ahhhs from a lot of bench racers I think youll find that staying on the mild side will provide you with a more "fun" turbo car that doesnt take 1/8mi to spool up.

My .02

TurboLark
08-22-2005, 09:43 AM
The a/r on the compressor side is not as important and on the turbine side. The compressor wheel is the important part on that sie of the turbo.