PDA

View Full Version : Engine info help

Turbodonkey
03-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Hey new to the boards my name is Rocky I live in Waco TX. I recently purchased a project car to turn into my daily driver/ cruiser and am having trouble doing research on the engine. The car is. 1970 2 door chevy caprice with (I think) the 300hp 350ci engine option. But when I try to look up info I can't seem to find anything solid. I just cant find anything saying how rare it is as far as an option is concerned or detailed info about rebuilds Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Todd in Vancouver
03-18-2013, 08:11 PM
If you have numbers, as in block and head numbers, you can start with looking into the GM White Book to see what exactly you have. Even without the book you can just punch the numbers into Google and usually find out about what you have.

Can't do any better than that as I'm just not any more familiar with the big Chevys.

Turbodonkey
03-19-2013, 03:12 AM
Ok yea I will check into it I don't have time right now to pull the engine and I tried to get back and see the numbers but can't. My uncle had told me that I can look at the front of the head for a double hump? Which it does have so guessing that head option was no available for the lower Hp engine

Todd in Vancouver
03-19-2013, 07:41 PM
The double humps, or Camel bumps, heads would be an earlier head if they do not have accessories holes. FYI, you don't need to pull the engine, just remove the valve covers to get the cylinder head numbers and the block number should be cast on the drivers side rear of the block right behind the head. It can be hard to see but there is lots of room under the hood of a Caprice.

I'm going to guess the last digits on the block are 0010 :twothumbs

Turbodonkey
03-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Ok I will check that out. I am going to be pulling the engine anyways for the project build I have in mind but just wanted to figure out what options are. I'm looking to try and pull around 400horse and converting the engine over to an EFI system.