PDA

View Full Version : glass polishing

icemanrd19
03-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Well its getting close to putting all the glass in the car. What is the best way to restore window and door glass while out of the car? None of it has any real scratched that i remember but i would like to polish and clean it the best i can. Not sure if this matters or not but i will end up tinting all the windows except the windshield

Thephranc
03-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Eastwood makes a glass repair kit.

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/4didg6/powerblock-trucks-daily-driver-c-10-part-6-glass-repair-gauge-cluster-rebuild-season-2-ep-414

Starts at about 2:45

jlcustomz
03-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Cerum oxide, which is ground up clay, is the common substance used. It's messy, time consuming,& won't remove any scratches that you can feel with you fingernail. For scratches beyond that , there are 3 stages of sanding pads you can get from 3-m , also available at eastwood. This is where you really get into time consuming, because you now have to remove all those fine scratches you just made.
The cerum oxide powder & drill mounted buffing pad will make a marked improvement on just slightly hazy glass. Just be sure not to stay in one spot too long & overheat. Also keep in mind that side & rear windows are tempered glass, which means they're most fragile getting hit on edges.
If you have just a few slightly scratched spots too much for the powder, you can lightly sand with 600 to 3000 grit wet & dry paper(as little as needed.) At work I do this for a quick improvement with minor scratches. I then buff with a little metal buffing compound of whatever I have laying around. I also sometimes use a white buffing compound stick directly on the spot. Many metal polishing liquids have the same ingredients as the white & green sticks.