PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Historics Aug 19, 20, 21, 2005

David Pozzi
08-14-2005, 09:23 PM
I just ran the Pre-Historics, a vintage club event Aug 13-14, and had a great time except for the first practice session. Two cars oiled the racing line all the way around the track! I could spin the wheels on my car even in third gear! It was like driving on dirt. We had about 20 Can-Am cars but more should be there by next weekend for the Historics, Aug 19-21. The Can-Am runs last group (7) on Sat, the Historic Trans-Am cars race last group (7) on Sunday.

The poster for the Monterey Historics looks great, it has three Chaparral cars on it.
Jim Hall is bringing all his cars for us to see and will do some parade laps at noon Sat and Sun.

Anyone coming should check out Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley thursday night, it's usually packed and has nice cars and live music.

Mean 69
08-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Myself and katz are hoping to make it on Friday, but it looks like it probably won't happen. I might fly in for the event, and head back home on Friday. I'd love to see your car in action, amongst a LOT of mean wonderful Can-Am hot rods.

If I miss it, any chance of coming down to San Diego for the October event on Coronado? Flat course, not much stuff to hit!
M

David Pozzi
08-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Friday will have practice sessions for both the sat and sun cars, I run at 11:50, the Trans-Am cars run at 4:55.

The entry deadline for Coronado was in July so I missed it. It would be nice to come down and see the event and see if I'd like to run there.

Damn True
08-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Im going to try to be there on Sunday

David Pozzi
08-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Update:
Met CoryM today, had a good practice session with my car, morning warmups and afternoon race will be Saturday! :)

I saw the Chaparral sucker car start up, hope they will run it around the track this weekend.

News flash: An ex GM engineer who worked on the IIGS (GM's version of the Chaparral) will build copies of the Chaparral 2E high wing car for sale!
David

Damn True
08-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Montery Historics was FAN-freakin-TASTIC!

I was completely, totally, shamelessly GEEKED OUT! Kids that play D&D would have been laughing and calling ME a dork!

I can't even begin to describe the cars that were there.

Over 30 67-72 Trans-AM cars, including all of Donohues rides, the Yunick Camaro, a bunch of Wood Bros Boss 302's etc etc.

19....yes, I said NINTEEN GT-40's!

More big sexy Mclarens and Lola's than I have ever seen in one place. You could have built a pipe organ out of all the Hillborn stacks. Ive never been that close to one of those things. 1000hp injected big blocks with open headers....oh my!

Watched Bobby Rahal drive like four completely different cars in consecutive races including a Chevron that may have been the worst handling thing he'd ever been in yet he managed to keep it on the track and not get passed until the tires went away.

Got to meet Vic Edelbrock.

Met and hung out with David Pozzi. Cool guy, bitchin little Lola. Thanks for inviting me to the awards ceremony.

Damn True
08-22-2005, 09:22 AM
...oh yeah, I shot five rolls of film....mostly of the Trans-Am cars. I should be able to post some of them this afternoon or tomorow night.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9963

David Pozzi
08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
True,
Glad you had a good time, nice meeting you, CoryM and his dad too! It was an awsum weekend and I got my photo taken with Jay Leno, plus got an autograph from Jim Hall and lots of good pics of the Chaparrals!

I also got interviewed by the local TV station and got on the 10pm news. Here is a link to their streaming video with me!
http://www.kcba.com/mediacenter/[email protected]

I started 12th and finished 9th! The car ran beautifully.

CoryM
08-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Ya, I made the trip down from BC and it was SOOOOOO worth it. Just got home about an hour ago.
Awesome cars+awesome track+awesome people= one hell of a good time.
Met David and Mary Pozzi, both great people. Since David is too humble to say it, I will say he drove a very good race in his cool little lola. Neat to see you got interviewed David.
So many legendary cars at that event, my favorites were the 1964 Cheetah (the main reason I went to the event), Old yeller 2 and the Chapparals. I wish I knew more about the historys of the cars there because almost all of them had incredible stories.
I had never been to Laguna Seca before but I can see why it is a favorite for a lot of drivers. I had no idea the corkscrew was that steep or that there were so many elevation changes. The TV just doesnt show up how cool the track is.
I have about 200pics I will try to post tommorow.
[edit] pics here http://photos.yahoo.com/chevroletc1070
If you want one of those in high res let me know and Ill upload it.
Cheers

ACEFOOTER
08-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Great event, my second time going, well worth the price of admission. Not only do you get to see classic race carsup close, you actually get to hear and see them run. These guys and gals run these cars HARD, race speeds, oppisite lock, wheel to wheel racing. It's amazing in the "HOT" pits, no special pass needed, drool on your chin, whiplash from the car starting up behind you, the smell of race gas in the air, all while trying not get run over by Vic E. in the 614 Vette. 400+ cars entered and the cars people drive to the event are worthy of a exotic car show in their own rights. I loved that Cheeta coming out of the bottom of the cork screw sideways most every lap.

David Pozzi
08-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Here are a couple of pics from the Historics.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Is that the penske Camaro in the first pic? Cool pics, thanks for sharing!

David Pozzi
08-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Yes, it's a Penske 69 Camaro, that guy drove the car sidways most of the time, really put on a show!

CoryM
08-26-2005, 07:04 PM
The penske camaro (#6 ?) the challenger and I think the amc in the tires belong to the same outfit, Mcgee motorsports. They also have one of the red monzas from the IMSA class. I was talking to them before the races, nice guys. The owner was the guy in the camaro who has been watching too many drifting shows I think. :3gears: