PDA

View Full Version : Flux core welder... any tips?

protour_chevelle
08-14-2005, 01:26 PM
So I'm on vacation at my grandpas place and he asked if I wanted this small welder of his. I said please, atleast I have one now. Its a flux-core so no bottle. Any tips on making a half decent weld with this? I'm not doing anything heavy just some light metal 1/8inch tops(but mostly thinner)

Thanks,

-Matt

Matt@RFR
08-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Flux core wires suck on thin stuff. It burns hotter than hard wire for some reason. Can you adapt it for gas?

68protouring454
08-14-2005, 05:53 PM
get gas

protour_chevelle
08-14-2005, 08:20 PM
It can't be adapted to gas. I'm not gonna go out and purchase a welder. Gramps gave me this so I'll make use of it.

I've read up a bit on some techniques to lay a strong weld with this. Good enough for me.

-Matt

CAMAROBOY69
08-15-2005, 03:32 AM
I have a flux core and I have had it over 6 years. Welded at least 8 vehicles together with it including anything from body work, including rear quarter panels, to small frame work. I generally use the .30 flux core. If the metal is clean it will weld real nice. So nice that I usually weld on low. Once in a while on the 1/8" stuff I weld on high. Even my girlfriend can weld with this. :) Flux core welding wire is only $8.00 a roll.
You will enjoy it after a little practice. If you need help with it just ask.
.30 or .35 will work perfect for anything on a car.

Lesrace82
08-15-2005, 03:57 AM
I never had any problems with mine either, worked great for the price.

engine
08-17-2005, 02:41 PM
I tried using flux core on 18-16 gage with .035" wire, and it was somewhat difficult to keep a smooth arc. But on heavier gage like 12 or 10, I have absolutely no problems with it. A lot of people complain about spatter and crappy beads, but I for one totally disagree. If you have the correct voltage and wire speed settings for the steel you are welding, as well as keeping the correct welding gun angle, it'll be fine. Here are some pics I took for some heavy gage steel with flux core:
this one is 3/16" steel butt welded together with flux core. Note the smooth weld bead and no spatter:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
close up:
Here is the same 3/16" steel that I lap welded a piece of 10 gage stainless to (yes, I know about mixing dissimilar metals...I was experimenting). Note that there is a little spatter on the stainless piece. After welding stainless a bit, I have noticed that it will spatter more than carbon steel. I've used 308L stainless wire and CO2/Ar/O2 gas mix, and still got spatter with stainless. I think TIG is the best for it:
Close up:

Little Bob
08-18-2005, 03:25 AM
I use flux core with my mig and have had a couple of spots burn thru. But the more I use it and practice the better I get. Just be real careful of heat on body panels. The flux core burns hotter, so the panels will distort easier. Just practice and you be fine.

Damn True
08-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Hmmm, interesting.

So can I take away from this that a flux-core system would be adequete for welding heavier stuff like the subframe and a roll cage, and still able to do thin sheet metal if I'm not too worried about cosmetics? I wouldn't mess with body panels but I was thinking it might be fine for mini-tubs.

Off the wall question......but can you weld aluminum with one?

Travis B
08-22-2005, 01:39 PM
The good thing about welding with a flux-core is..........after you weld with it for awhile you won't think it is too bad until you weld with a real welder!! Then you will never want to use it again. :icon_razz

But for free I wouldn't complain.....

F70t/a
08-22-2005, 03:34 PM
I learned how to weld with a flux.I use mig now and it's way better, but flux is not as bad as people make it sound. flux can come in handy!!!! :ssst:

protour_chevelle
08-22-2005, 07:37 PM
All I really need it for is suspension stuff, roll cages, and creating naughty machines(XR 50 with CR250 in it, giggle)

-Matt

Modo Innovations
09-03-2005, 06:52 PM
The good thing about welding with a flux-core is..........after you weld with it for awhile you won't think it is too bad until you weld with a real welder!! Then you will never want to use it again.

AMEN BROTHER......

dropit69
09-06-2005, 03:21 PM
protour i wanna see vids of the xr50 with the 250 in it ..gonna have to build a wheeliebar..lol