PDA

View Full Version : 1978 T/A - What would you pay?

digits
03-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Its a 78 Trans Am for sale locally. Below is the description and some pictures. The car looks pretty complete but he's asking more than I am willing to pay. If we assume the body is solid and wouldn't require too much attention, what do you guys think its worth? My plans would be to do a full Speedtech suspension with torque arm, LS2/6-speed drop-out, C6 brakes from Kore3, throw some forged wheels on it, fix whatever other "little things" that might need attention and drive it "as is" for a while. Thanks for any insight or comments.

Description:

1978 PONTIAC TRANS AM - BLACK WITH GOLD GRAPHICS, BLACK INTERIOR, NOT RUNNING

1978 TRANS AM , AUTOMATIC, 403 BIG BLOCK BLACK ON BLACK ,T TOPS , SCOOPS! AND HONEY COMB RIMS. CAR IS COMPLETE BUT NEEDS NEW ENGINE., BODY WORK IS STRAIGHT, NO BONDO. SMALL INVESTMENT FOR A GOOD PROJECT CAR TO BE CLONED TO A BANDIT.

srh3trinity
03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Do you want a t-top car? Count on some subframe connectors too. Pricing is regional, but I have seen those listed for 3-5k locally. The more complete the better. Local supply probably plays into the price too.

digits
03-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Yea, 3-4k was what I was thinking. He's asking $8000 right now and that seems really high to me, (8k is quite a bit more than I paid for my '69 camaro in similar condition). Not sure if I should offer less than half the asking price without even looking at it, I'm really interested as its pretty close to what I want, but honestly anything over 4k seems like crazy money. I'm located in southern california for reference, so it not like they never come up for sale around here but this one seems more complete than most. I'm not set on a t-top car but I think its a cool option to have since I do take the tops off my 2000 ws6 quite a bit. Any other opinions on what a fair offer might be? The other option I'm thinking about is finding a decent 75 T/A and building a 78 style car off of it (allowing me smog exeption so I wouldnt have to worry about engine swap/smog issues in here in california.

aronhk_md
03-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Around here that car would be lucky to bring $2000. I have seen NICE TA's sell in the $5000 range. Of course there are always those that think they've struck gold with the car they are trying to sell, but I just look elsewhere. Theres a 76 TA here that I've mulled over with an asking price of $4500. Thats with a good running original 400 in it and no body damage/rust. Has minor things, like missing the front spoiler and one of the wheel flares is damaged, but I wouldnt be ashamed to drive it. If I were you I'd keep looking. Keep in mind you might find something good out in AZ without rust and it might be worth the trip.

Skip Fix
03-11-2013, 10:37 AM
I agree 2-4K max. Highe when they have the Pontiac motor over the Olds. It does look like it has the correct WS6 8" snowflakes.