PDA

View Full Version : Project JUST-N-SANE is back up and running!

WELTERRACER
08-14-2005, 11:06 AM
4 days of hard work... compeletly hand assembled engine and installed short block into car and finished assembly from there..

So far soo good... Im only running 10psi for now with my current 9.0-1 compression untill it is well broken in.(around 600hp). Hopefully this winter i will change to a 4.5 inch pulley to get 15 psi (680-720hp)

Well... here is the start - finish pics..

camcojb
08-14-2005, 08:47 PM
4 days of hard work... compeletly hand assembled engine and installed short block into car and finished assembly from there..

So far soo good... Im only running 10psi for now with my current 9.0-1 compression untill it is well broken in.(around 600hp). Hopefully this winter i will change to a 4.5 inch pulley to get 15 psi (680-720hp)

Well... here is the start - finish pics..

Looks great. I'd definitely consider a surge valve, especially with the manual trans. Usually makes it much smoother going through the gears, and protects the blower.

4.5"??? That's huge! A 3.85" upper only netted us about 14-15 psi.

Jody

Blown353
08-14-2005, 09:29 PM
I see something that could very well have contributed to your earlier failure... that carb hat. The stock ATI "low profile" hat you are running provides very uneven air distribution to each barrel of the carb, and therefore uneven air/fuel distribution to each cylinder.

As Jody said, a surge valve would definately be a good idea, especially if you plan on putting a smaller pulley on down the road.

Looks good though. Also, how close is that fuel filter to the positive terminal on the back of the alternator?

Troy

WELTERRACER
08-15-2005, 08:19 AM
CAM JOB.

Thanks,, I think the pulley setups on Small blocks are different than big blocks, I definitly will be looking into the blow off valve before switching to a 15psi pulley..

BLOWN 353

I have a friend who modified a carb had and neted 60 more HP over stock by adding a 1 inch spacer to it and spliting the air.. I might eventually look into an aftermarket carb hat! The fuel filter is plenty far from the Alternator, (looks are deceiving) The big reason my engine blew up was the 10.3-1 compression and warm temps.. DO you have the part numbers for the tensioner you modified??

Thanks for the compliments..

blown69nova
08-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Looks great! Did you dyno your new engine already? I'm wondering because I have a similar setup and would like to know what kind of dyno numbers to expect. Was that rear wheel hp or crank? Thanks, Steve

Blown353
08-15-2005, 08:46 PM
DO you have the part numbers for the tensioner you modified??.

Unfortunately, I don't have the exact part numbers. I had the bracket modified at the same time I bought the supercharger from Scott @ SDCE; his phone number is 401-826-4400. Cost to modify the bracket was about $175 including the tensioner and additional idler pulley needed; there is a bit of machine work required.

Also, I don't know if you are interested or not but I have a carb hat (modified for even flow by SDCE, worked fantastic for me at 15psi, very even A/F distribution) and I also have a blower to hat elbow with a surge valve provision for sale... you can see both of the pieces in THIS PICTURE (http://home.comcast.net/~procharged69/pictures/blower/almostdone1.jpg). If you're interested, send me a PM.

Troy

WELTERRACER
08-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Looks great! Did you dyno your new engine already? I'm wondering because I have a similar setup and would like to know what kind of dyno numbers to expect. Was that rear wheel hp or crank? Thanks, Steve

NO. i have not dynoed it yet... but maybe this fall.. I am using guesstimates!

I know the car was making 365HP at the wheels before the blower because the car ran 109mph in the quarter mile at 3800lbs with driver!

I am guessing the car will make about 500-510hp at the wheels at only 10psi..

Once i take the car to the track in a couple of weeks i should know more..

Brian

P.S. thanks for the compliment

JoshStratton
08-16-2005, 10:55 AM
LOL Let us know the first time you crack one of those T-Tops. Lots of power! Muuuuahhhahhahhahahah!

paul67
08-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Nice engine, did you ever have a problem with air locks in the water cooling or run hot ? due to the top hose going up then down into the rad?.
paul67

paul67
08-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Nice engine, did you ever have a problem with air locks in the water cooling or run hot ? due to the top hose going up then down into the rad?.
paul67

paul67
08-16-2005, 11:57 AM
paul67

WELTERRACER
08-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Paul 67

I never had a problem.. that is the way the hose runs from the factory.. My thermostate housing just points up higher than the factory one..

paul67
08-16-2005, 11:33 PM
sorry about the repeat the site locked up every time i tried to put question so they must have been loading during lock up.
paul67

strangler
09-02-2005, 06:38 AM
Thats a lot of power for a 2 bolt block isnt it? It looks like you have main studs, but still.... What rpm do you expect to spin it to?

WELTERRACER
09-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Thats a lot of power for a 2 bolt block isnt it? It looks like you have main studs, but still.... What rpm do you expect to spin it to?

You would be surprised what a stock block can handle... ive heard stories of guys with over 750hp with stock block..

Acording to ATI a stock block with ARP bolts is good up to 800HP.... after that you need a good aftermarket block..

Im spinning my engine at a max rpm of 7000..

Steve68
09-06-2005, 05:28 AM
Insn't your fuel line a little small along with the filter, it looks like 3/8?, I know with my BB, I run #8, 1/2, with a blue pump, just wondering??

WELTERRACER
09-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Ya it is just 3/8" line..

I have never had a problem.. no fuel starvation, and im running less HP than i was before!

yody
09-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the fuel line, that dual feed line and filter are probably big restrictions, but hey if it works, it works. Also I have heard that wrap on the headers eats the headers from the inside out, but again no big deal. Looks good from what i see! People are probably suprised when you pop the hood, probably expect to see a TBI 305!!! lol. 2 bolt main, CAT crank and rods....15PSI, man I hope you prove us wrong!! I do have a feeling that your motor will be fine, not sure why, sometimes the stuff that isn't "supposed" to work just works!!?? Let us know how it does. What does your fuel system compromise of??
BTW gonna run an intercooler when you step up to 15PSI?

WELTERRACER
09-19-2005, 11:21 AM
I am now reconsidering the 15 psi pulley.. i might shoot for more like 10-12psi!

i am running a Holley street/strip fuel pump, which is modified for boost pressure control! my fuel line has been replaced, but with the same 3/8 line as from factory, just installed with less bends! I will eventually add an intercooler, mainly because they look awsome! LOL

Yody.. i am going to the track this weekend (saturday) and will let you know how i do... i am currently only running about 6-8 psi I am estimating about 575hp! and the car should run mid to low 11s..

brian

yody
09-19-2005, 11:30 AM
How are the 4:10's with teh T56? do you like them?

WELTERRACER
09-19-2005, 12:01 PM
yeah.. but i think 3.73 would be better for the track.. hard to get traction in 1st gear.

I cant imagine running a much taller gear as 6th gear is already very tall.. 1800rpm at 65mph

Ralph LoGrasso
09-19-2005, 02:18 PM
yeah.. but i think 3.73 would be better for the track.. hard to get traction in 1st gear.

I cant imagine running a much taller gear as 6th gear is already very tall.. 1800rpm at 65mph

With 3:42s and a 26.5" tire, I turn 1500rpms at 65. Something like 2000rpms at 90. It's a ridiculously tall gear, and only useful for mpg on the highway. I will probably swap to either 3:55s or 3:73s when I go 12 bolt.