PDA

View Full Version : Help me set up a good sound system. Anyone Using Retrosound Model 2 in their car?

old66tiger
03-05-2013, 10:08 AM
I have a convertible 66 GTO, I am limited on my options due to the lack of a rear package tray and the top mechanism

I am currently running a pair of Rockford 4 1/2" speakers on a custom bracket in the stock dash speaker location and they sound pretty good for what they are when powered through a small amplifier using my MP3 player. My old Alpine amp was located under the passenger seat and with the install of a set of 2005 GTO seats, I lost the location for amp. Instead of re-locating to the trunk, I thought I would give a new radio a try. The old AM radio is junk and the factory AM/FM radio is long gone. I see they offer retro modern AM/FM units for the GTO for a $600 premium price. OUCH. They look nice, but it seems that they are lacking in features compared to other units out there.

The Retrosound model 2 looks interesting with lots of features. I have always been an Alpine sort of guy but I really don't want to cut up the dash. Anyone every play with these and what quality are they?

http://www.vintagecarradio.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=20_33&products_id=1559

My plan is to get a good radio in the dash with some control capabilities. Keep the Rockford speakers in the dash and then put some speakers in the kick panels. Custom Autosound is the only ones out there that offer up a kick panel speaker...however, i am not fond of the speakers that they offer so I guess I am in it for the kickpanels only. I would like to throw a mid-bass speaker in there with some tweeters to get some decent sound out of the kick panels. I would also like to preserve the vents if possible. Non-AC cars run hot in the car during the summer months and the vintage kick panels vents rock!

I would like to throw a small sub in the trunk but I do not want to make the trunk into a massive audio project. No sound deadner on the floor and the quarters so I am looking to build a removable sub box with the amps mounted to the side of the box.

I want nice sound, not something that will make my ears bleed. So, I need to power the Rockfords, the kick panel speakers and a small sub. Thoughts on amps?

d-man7
03-05-2013, 10:48 AM
im interested on some advise on this too.

68lovebuzz
03-05-2013, 02:24 PM
The retro sound model 2 looks enticing. Anyone using it yet? Just came out weeks ago. Even though my dash is cut and I have ran single din alpine decks in the past I would really like to return to stock appearance with awesome internals and it looks like you can put retro stereos pretty much anywhere with their shaft change ability.

old66tiger
03-13-2013, 07:02 AM
I just bought one and will let everyone know my opinion when I get it installed.

makoshark
03-14-2013, 06:21 AM
A 'good sound system' can be somewhat subjective. The retrosound setups fill a bit of a void to people that want to keep the classic look, but with more modern electronics. If you are an audiophile, such as myself, then you will not be happy with the sound quality from retrosound. They will sound better than the original factory system, but don't hold a candle to a modern system designed to produce the best sound possible in the car environment. Doug Chambers has experienced just this in his Chevelle build he has recently completed. He has a thread going on here, so look up his thread to get better insight.

old66tiger
03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
I hear ya and if this was a hardtop car, no question that it would be getting a nice head unit. The convertible is a pain in i tself to put good audio in. Just looking for something better than what I had. Maybe some bass in the trunk later.

rfalker1
03-16-2013, 11:49 AM
my friend has this installed under his seat or somewhere and loves it

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/marine-products/marine-source-unit/

and ran two 6.5 mids in the door. It was an option back then I think for 68 gto convertibles. SO maybe you can buy cheaper door panels and mount a 6.5 in each one. Thus u can avoid changing the kick panels. Then for the sub.
The problem with the little box. is that with our cars and the size of the boxes ( if you get like one sub) when cornering hard they tend to slide all around. so u will need to figure out somewhere to secure the box.

Just my opinion. Good luck. I am curious of what you will do

pitts64
08-07-2013, 06:52 PM
delete..

kipmurphy
08-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Just had the Retrosound Model 2 installed along with an AMP. Have powered antenna under the dash and doesn't work at all, but when connect to iPhone quality of sound is great via Bluetooth and/or headphone jack. Tried Bluetooth handsfree call today and quality was okay. Looks of the unit and capturing the look of a 69 Camaro radio are unmatched.

PT Sportwagon
08-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Well custom autosound isn't the only ones who make kicks. OPGi has them too maybe made by custom autosound. Any good car stereo installer can custom build kicks for anything. I built my own for my wagon and disconnected my dash. The kicks sound so much better. I have a Kenwood CD player in my dash. Only had to modified the mount not the dash. If you want quality sound don't worry about mp3s as you lose the upper and lower bands of the sound spectrum.
I would also put an amp on them as most in dash headunits has maybe 5-7 watts of power. even though they maybe advertised as 30x4 but unfortunatly they don't.

I need to build a total custom system in my wagon to show what can be done in a classic car.

Tim

scott_fx
09-04-2013, 11:01 PM
you may want to look into skipping the head unit all together, get a bluetooth module connected directly to an amp... then just use your phone or tablet for sound.