PDA

View Full Version : Mark VIII fan won't fit?!!

stokers
08-13-2005, 10:59 AM
I just removed my original fan and shroud to install my new Mark VIII fan. When I slid the mark fan between the radiator and water pump I discovered the fan will not fit. I even pulled the pulley off the water pump for more clearance and it still was too big. Any suggestions please.

yody
08-13-2005, 11:13 AM
well you probably can't use it, neither could I. you could try trimming the shroud down some, but from the sound of it it just won't fit

TonyHuntimer
08-13-2005, 01:16 PM
If you trim the shroud, make sure the fan doesn't hit the radiator. Measure twice, cut once.

This might not be the cheapest route, but you are probably running a long water pump. You could switch to a short water pump and the accessories that go with it. Unfortunately the Camaro doesn't leave much room for a good electric cooling fan if you have a long water pump.

Tony~

CAMAROBOY69
08-15-2005, 03:19 AM
I welded a U channel under my radiator and moved it forward about an inch but I have a universal radiator and it might not be as thick as the original radiator.
If you cant do that then do what Tony suggested about the short water pump and accessories. What is the thickness of your raditor? Mabey a universal radiator might not be as thick.

73z-6sp
08-15-2005, 05:57 AM
What kind of car are you installing it in? Just curious. Yody, I had a 73 Camaro which is similar to yours. I used a Windstar fan which looked cool and it fit. But the Firebird may have other dimensions than the Camaro. I had the BeCool radiator if that means anything.

I now am building my 68 Camaro and was planning to run the MK VIII fan. Thats why I ask what kind of car.

Check out this site:

http://www.geocities.com/diels12000/WindstarFans.html

Maybe it will help you.

Good luck!

CAMAROBOY69
08-15-2005, 06:02 AM
The most important thing to keep in mind is the fan is 5.75" deep including the fan motor. Make sure you have enough room to fit that dimension before you buy the fan. I have mine in a 69 camaro and many other people do too.
The dimensions are posted on this site so make sure to research before you buy. :)

yody
08-15-2005, 07:24 AM
i have a BBC with a long water pump, i am now using dual electric spals, and those barely fit

stokers
08-15-2005, 08:12 AM
I just realized that the fan is actusaly offset to one side so I think by turning it over and trimming the shroud I should be O.K.. Once I cut it, I own it so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm putting it in a '68 Camaro w/ 427BB and short water pump and original radiator.

dhardison
08-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Stokers, please post back and let us know how this works out. I have a 454 with a long pump and there's NO way my Mark VIII fan is going to fit, so I'm considering switching to a short pump. Some pics of your install would be great as well.

Thanks,
Dan

gmachinz
08-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Just for reference, my Mark VIII fan ( on a g-body )has about an inch of clearance between the water pump and the fan motor. I'm running a long style of course. -Jabin

Richz68
08-16-2005, 01:28 PM
BBC is your main reason for clearence issues coupled with the fact the Lincon fan was not designed with shallow mounting depth in mind. The thickness of the fan is how it can put up "Big Boy" numbers as far as cfm's.

I can get you just about any fan you need so if it does't "fan" out let me know at my link.

stokers
08-19-2005, 09:28 AM
I measured and remeeasured and it's just not gunna fit even with trimming the shroud. The only way I see this thing squeezin' in is to shift the radiator off to one side a little bit and then put the fan in so that it is offset away fron the water pump pulley. That aint happinin. So, who knows of a good second choice electric fan that's thinner and would also be able to use this brand new DC Controller I got sittin in the box? Please help :hammer:

derekf
08-19-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry, there is no workaround for you. You'll need to go ahead and box up that DC-35 and send it on to me, I'll make good use of it for you.

Actually, I believe that the Windstar fans are a bit smaller/thinner (with a corresponding drop in CFM of airflow) and were pretty popular before the Mark VIII craze took off. I'm afraid I don't have measurements for one though.

Edit: Looks like 73z-6sp already posted a link to Joe's page dealing with the Windstar so I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80220&postcount=5

engine
08-21-2005, 11:16 AM
What kind of car are you installing it in? Just curious. Yody, I had a 73 Camaro which is similar to yours. I used a Windstar fan which looked cool and it fit. But the Firebird may have other dimensions than the Camaro. I had the BeCool radiator if that means anything.

I now am building my 68 Camaro and was planning to run the MK VIII fan. Thats why I ask what kind of car.

Check out this site:

http://www.geocities.com/diels12000/WindstarFans.html

Maybe it will help you.

Good luck!

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the Windstar shroud? I'm looking for a dual fan that will give me the most radiator core coverage. I have a 27 x 19 core, and the Mark VIII shroud will only cover 80% of my radiator
thanks.

engine
08-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I just measured a 2000 Windstar fan (My supervisor's company car), and the shroud is 28" across, and about 19" tall. It is very low-profile. Strokers, you may want to look into this fan, it might fit into your car with BBC.
Now, can anyone vouch for how powerful the fans are? CFM?

MStennes
08-22-2005, 06:27 PM
I had the same problem when I went with a March pulley system I had to drop my Mark 8 fan as it was to wide so I opted to go with a Taraus fan it moves about 3600 cfm and works just as good, but is not as wide so it will fit in a much tighter spot.

dhardison
03-15-2006, 05:28 AM
I measured and remeeasured and it's just not gunna fit even with trimming the shroud. The only way I see this thing squeezin' in is to shift the radiator off to one side a little bit and then put the fan in so that it is offset away fron the water pump pulley. That aint happinin. So, who knows of a good second choice electric fan that's thinner and would also be able to use this brand new DC Controller I got sittin in the box? Please help :hammer:

Stokers, did you ever get your Mark VIII fan to fit?

69bigblock
03-15-2006, 06:16 AM
dhardison, I'm going to install a taurus fan when I bring my car back home. I also run a bbc w/ a long pump. I could let you know how close the fit is on that. The camaro's have more room than our novas in that area....

dhardison
03-15-2006, 06:21 AM
dhardison, I'm going to install a taurus fan when I bring my car back home. I also run a bbc w/ a long pump. I could let you know how close the fit is on that. The camaro's have more room than our novas in that area....

Yeah I'd appreciate that, thanks.

cad
03-15-2006, 08:46 PM
www.dccontrol.com has the exact dimensions of both fans.
http://www.dccontrol.com/3018Einfo.htm

C

jwcarguy
03-22-2006, 09:11 PM
69BigBlock, Please let me know also how your install goes! I have a 68 camaro with a BB and a long WP also. I think that I "jumped the gun" in buying a new MK8 fan unit and DC control. I read antother thread that a guy turned it upside down, cut down 1/2" of the radiator supprt brackets, cut 3/4" of the "lip" of the core support and shifted it as far over to the driver's side??? But, I can't find the thread anymore. I may have to buy a Taurus unit. Please let me know also! Jeff

EVO
04-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Jeff, I'm the guy that got the mk8 fan to fit with a BBC. Happy to report that its doing an awesome job of keeping my 502 cool. Temp doesnt ever move past 185 deg no matter if Im on the highway or stuck in traffic. Here is a link to my original post:
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13469
Hope this helps,
Evan Q.