PDA

View Full Version : 69 Bird slowly coming along

steve g
08-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Here's are a couple for the few Pontiac fans. I've been slowing working on the mechanical aspects of my 69 Firebird convertible until I can drag the rusty body over to Frank's shop. Here are a couple of shots of the 400 dropped in the subframe. Note the expensive Aeroquip power steering hoses. After doing the swap to a 92 IROC box I learned that Pontiac used an 11/16 fitting on the pressure hose and the metric adapters were 5/8. I cut off the 11/16 and tried to replace it but couldn't find anyone who could do a double flare on the 3/8 steel tube. I finally said to heck with it and bought some Aeroquip high pressure hose and the correct fittings.

CDJr
08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Lookin sweeeeeeet, Steve.

ProdigyCustoms
08-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Wow, that frame is fantastic, LOL! lookin good man, now all we need is a body huh.

steve g
08-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Thanks Frank. Either a new body or I might have to call this bird Phoenix-- rising from the rust.

yody
08-14-2005, 10:02 AM
I like the "expensive aeroquip hoses" ! also like the painted manifold!

Hammered
08-14-2005, 11:53 AM
It's always good to see someone going with Pontiac power! I look forward to seeing the rest.

John

steve g
08-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys! Originally I was going to keep a fairly stock look, hence the painted manifold, but then things started snowballing. Yody, I guess the term "expensive" is relative. The original plan for the power steering was to use a stock hose and a couple of metric adapters, but I have to admit I like the way they look.

BEEBE
08-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys! Originally I was going to keep a fairly stock look, hence the painted manifold, but then things started snowballing. Yody, I guess the term "expensive" is relative. The original plan for the power steering was to use a stock hose and a couple of metric adapters, but I have to admit I like the way they look.

Steve , lookin damm good ! Nice decision on the powerplant :lol:

So.....How much were the hoses, they do look good , especially with the poctiac blue . :headbang:

F70t/a
08-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Damn that looks so nice!!! :headbang:

Drewhelm
08-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Lookin good! Love the hoses!

steve g
08-15-2005, 02:51 PM
BEEBE,

The hoses you see in the photos, including the fuel lines which are Aeroquip socketless, the Weatherhead metric adapters, the Aeroquip high pressure hose and fittings, some brass fittings for the fuel lines, and some additional compression fittings came to a little over $200. What you don't see in the photo are the stainless compression fittings that will connect the 3/8" tubular 69 400 power steering cooler to the -06AN fittings. The Aeroquip high pressure hose has a slightly reduced inside diameter and is not flexible enough to push over a barbed end. I cut the end of the return line off at the pump and used a compression nut and fitting there as well.