PDA

View Full Version : Fender Braces

Barrrf
03-01-2013, 07:50 AM
I see this on the Camaros. They appear to attach the fenders to the core support. Having a Chevele, I dont have these. So my questions are as follows -

Why does the Camaro have them?
Why doesnt my Chevelle have them (probably answered by the first question)?
Should I think about putting some on?

68lovebuzz
03-01-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm going out on a limb and guessing its for extra strength in a unibody car vs full frame.

KnightMare
03-01-2013, 12:43 PM
I would agree as well. I think it's just a unibody thing

Rod
03-01-2013, 12:57 PM
posters #2 and #3 are correct the camaro doesnt have a full frame therfore the fenders and inner fender wells are use to triangulate the sub-frame, and the fender braces reduce left to right movement, the a body cars, like your chevelle have a full frame and the fenders dont need the braces

Barrrf
03-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Rofl - shows how much I know about Camaros. Didnt know they didnt have a frame. I suppose if I wouldve used the brain that I thought I had smashed between my ears - I wouldve figured that - cuz subframe.

Damnit.

protour73
03-17-2013, 04:47 AM
Rofl - shows how much I know about Camaros. Didnt know they didnt have a frame. I suppose if I wouldve used the brain that I thought I had smashed between my ears - I wouldve figured that - cuz subframe.

Damnit.Well, I wouldn't go that far!! It's 2 piece frame.............Just not a full frame like your 'Velle.

Steve Chryssos
03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
The Camaro unibody subframe design was the first ever computer aided design for GM. Pretty sophisticated for the time. The long nose warranted added triangulation to keep the sheet metal square. Novas with their shorter noses, don't need em. Back to the F-Bodies, of particular concern is the bottom rear corners of the fenders where they meet the rockers. Unlike the tops of the fenders which bolt straight to the cowl, the bottom rear of the fenders only attach to sheet metal hanging off the unibody. Without rigid fender braces, this area can easily go out of alignment if the nose goes out of square. If you have a 1st or second gen F-body, be sure to run fender braces -- and they need to be rigid or in tension.

You Chevelle guys are just plain awesome even without fender braces.