PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Gen 1 sbc 383.

TraviZ28
02-28-2013, 01:05 PM
I torched my last engine at the drag strip with too much ignition timing and boost.
I am picking up a new engine block virgin bore. It is going .030" over with forged diamond pistons meant for boost according to them. What type of piston rings and material should I fit to this build? I have a F1A procharger pushing 14psi into the last motor.
I have an eye for those total seal gapless rings. However, I see they make top ring and second ring gapless but I do not know if I should get both or just one or the other? I hate oil consumption and I feel this would be the right way to go.
Lastly, Diamondracing suggests with their 'turbo/blower' pistons to match their rings with it which are plasma moly top ring, RBT(?) iron second rings and standard tension oil ring. Does this sound good as well?

exwestracer
02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
I've heard that typically you don't do a gapless top ring on a boosted engine. Something about that type of ring getting pinched easier if the top land gets too much heat? Personally, I'd go with what the piston manufacturer recommends. Then if there is a piston problem, they can't point the finger at you using the "wrong" rings...

TraviZ28
02-28-2013, 07:41 PM
You have a good point however I also read that plasma moly is not usually recommended over 10psi as well for the chance of flaking or chipping? Though, Diamond pistons do claim their pistons are good for 20PSI applications.

exwestracer
03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
First I'd heard of that, but I'm not really that deep in the boosted stuff. Call Diamond and bring that up; see what they say?

TraviZ28
03-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Just to follow up I spoke with a rep from Total Seal and we agreed on a Steel Top ring along with a Napier style second ring for extra oil control along with standard tension oil ring. The tech offered a gapless version however he didnt seem to say one was much better over the other so I chose to stick with the tried and true method and will use standard gapped rings.