PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak at High RPM

TheRoaringEagle
08-12-2005, 01:30 PM
I had an oil leak from the rear of my valve cover on the driver's side, that would spray oil all over the passenger side firewall. I sealed that up with new covers and a new gasket. That was 3 months ago. I have another oil leak and I can't detect it while running in idle. I'm pretty sure it's leaking when I drive at freeway speeds which is pretty frequent.

The oil is everywhere on the passenger side again. Maybe my alternator is sucking anything that's spraying over there cause there's not much on the that side. But it's like a spray mist on the firewall, valve cover, the rad. hoses and the fan has a lot on its blades and stuff.

The valve covers seem okay. I'm going to drop the oil pan to take out a piece of dip stick that fell in there and use a new one piece gasket. Is there anything I should be looking for? Could it be the timing cover? Has anyone had a similiar problem? Thanks

Matt@RFR
08-12-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm betting you need bigger and/or better breathers. Sounds like crank case pressure to me.

TheRoaringEagle
08-12-2005, 09:16 PM
I've been using the same breather for awhile now. I admit that the engine hasn't been revved up to and past 4,000 RPM for a long time, but the breather is open element type so that should be sufficient right?

The valve cover problem before was from the engine being installed roughly and the lip of the cover bent upwards.

I've noticed also there is a fine mist coating of GREASE? It looks like it's suspension lube!? or speedo cable lube?? (It's gray and stainy on my hands, degreaser doesn't work well on it) It's mostly on the driver's side... weirddd, help!

paul67
08-13-2005, 12:44 AM
its not from the auto trans cooler pipes.
paul67

TheRoaringEagle
08-14-2005, 08:17 PM
It's defin. not from the tranny lines.

David Pozzi
08-15-2005, 10:41 PM
On the lower right front of the block there are two holes, the upper one intersects the fuel pump pushrod hole, a longer bolt is threaded in the hole to hold the pushrod up for easier pump installation, then a short bolt MUST be screwed into the hole to prevent oil leaking out.

TheRoaringEagle
08-16-2005, 12:43 AM
wait a minute, so the fuel pump is mounted with four bolts on the side of the block, i have those in place, but in the front there are two holes that should be plugged? i took a quick glance, still in my PJS so i didn't wanna get dirty, and it there are only holes with no bolts threaded in. these holes are level with the pump and face front on the block, kind of staggered...

am i missing bolts?!