PDA

View Full Version : Roof insulation

fordsbyjay
02-25-2013, 09:25 PM
I searched and could not find any posts on sound deadener specifically for the roof of the car. What is best to put on there for both sound and thermal protection? Or do people leave it be? I have a mixture of Dynomat extreme and second skin luxery liner pro in the doors right now and am slowly working my way around the car.

77thor
02-26-2013, 06:29 AM
I was planning to put Dynamat Extreme under my headliner.

fordsbyjay
02-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Do you think there will be any problems with it wanting to fall off due to gravity?

Chris 68
02-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Do you think there will be any problems with it wanting to fall off due to gravity?

I have dynamat xtreme on the underside of my roof and this was my biggest concern, unfortunately my project isn't on the road yet so I don't have any real world experience with it, though its been on for about 3 years now and hasn't changed one bit since the day I installed it. I've also taken a heat gun to booth sides of the roof with a thermometer to test what it would do in the Florida summer heat. It held up extremely well in my opinion.

Thephranc
02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Good prep and it stay up there unless its outside in some really high temps. I had it on my Mazda and it stayed up there into about the 170* mark. The glue holding my interior together, however, did not.

redfire69
02-27-2013, 04:00 AM
I used dynamat extreme on the roof panel of my second gen TA. 5 years and still holding.

fordsbyjay
02-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Good to hear. thx

nekkidhillbilly
03-04-2013, 04:07 PM
lizard skin is paint it would work

duckmanjbr
03-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I've been doing custom car audio for almost 20 years and let me tell you nothing beats the spray in stuff for sound deadening! I did Lizard skin this time around on mine and I'm completly happy w/ it! I did the roof, floor, doors and rear quarter panels. I don't have any pics of the roof but trust me it looks just as good as the floors and it's really easy to clean up. The only down side is you need a compressor to spray it on. 5gal on my 68 did everything excluding the trunk.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/24347567C081473AA8D1185D017E197067590000-1.jpg

icemanrd19
03-04-2013, 07:14 PM
I have already por15 my floors. How well does that help with heat and sound deadening? I was still plaining on using dynamat too

Tom Welch
03-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Por does nothing for sound deadening, its a rust preventer only.

icemanrd19
03-05-2013, 02:26 PM
thank you. i guess i will just dynamat the hell out of my car :)

Blue Oval Man
03-05-2013, 02:35 PM
I've used lizard skin a a couple of projects, it will go on any future ones also. It can be applied over por 15 if you want, have done that in the past and worked well.

paulk68
03-07-2013, 03:57 AM
I've been doing custom car audio for almost 20 years and let me tell you nothing beats the spray in stuff for sound deadening! I did Lizard skin this time around on mine and I'm completly happy w/ it! I did the roof, floor, doors and rear quarter panels. I don't have any pics of the roof but trust me it looks just as good as the floors and it's really easy to clean up. The only down side is you need a compressor to spray it on. 5gal on my 68 did everything excluding the trunk.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/24347567C081473AA8D1185D017E197067590000-1.jpg

This looks very nice, when you guys do this do you have to plug any of the holes for the seats and stuff? thank you

Randy67
03-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I used an insulation similar to Dynaliner on the roof of the Camaro, helped out a bunch with heat. It is a bit thick, around 1/2", but I don't have a headliner or anything other than a full cage, since it is an autocross only car.

KnightMare
03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm going to use lizard skin on mine. I just got mine in yesterday and was reading all you need is scuff the surface, shoot, and also seals the metal so no more rust issues

makoshark
03-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Dynamat and all the competitive brands are not sound deadeners, persay, they are vibration dampeners. They need to be used in conjunction with an actual sound deadener. Ensolite or the dynaliner are actual sound deadeners. Mass loaded vinyl is as well. My build has and will be utilizing Dynamat xtreme along with Ensolite closed cell foam with mass loaded vinyl under the carpet.

FirebirdSteve
03-07-2013, 03:46 PM
I used the Eastwood Thermo-Coustic Sound Deadener Material for the floor and Dynaliner for the roof.
Car is still LOUD!!!

fordsbyjay
03-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Dynamat and all the competitive brands are not sound deadeners, persay, they are vibration dampeners. They need to be used in conjunction with an actual sound deadener. Ensolite or the dynaliner are actual sound deadeners. Mass loaded vinyl is as well. My build has and will be utilizing Dynamat xtreme along with Ensolite closed cell foam with mass loaded vinyl under the carpet.

I used dynomat extreme in the front doors with a layer of Overkill Pro on top of that. I have enough to do the rear side window sections as well. For the floor I am planning on using Damplifier pro with a layer of Luxury Liner pro (which is very heavy..). I couldn't imagine adding all this weight to my PT car, thankfully this is my hotrod and I am looking for quiet cruising.

On the roof I am not sure what I am looking for. Obviously some vibration & sound dampning as well as some thermal help. But I don't want all this to be 2" thick and collapse the roof of my 56 because it weighs 200 lbs. There is no roof bracing at all in this car. Am I right in understanding that the dynamat extreme does not need to be 100% cover and only strips will do?

77thor
03-24-2013, 06:47 AM
... Am I right in understanding that the dynamat extreme does not need to be 100% cover and only strips will do?

That is correct. It is actually a "vibration dampener".

makoshark
03-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Covering only 25% of the panel is sufficient in reducing the amount of harmonic vibrations. Dynamat Xtreme and the equivalents are not sound deadeners, per-say. The do reduce the amount of road noise by reducing harmonic vibrations that are translated through sheetmetal. A true sound deadener is a Closed Cell Foam and/or Mass Loaded Vinyl. These need to be used in conjunction with a dampening mat. However, I prefer to save on weight and not use Mass Loaded Vinyl. A thin layer of closed cell foam, strategically placed Dynamat Xtreme along with the regular jute padding under the carpet will greatly reduce exterior noises and save weight.

fordsbyjay
03-24-2013, 07:04 PM
So I'm going to guess the best places will be large flat areas. Areas with bends and shapes would be less likely to vibrate then.

makoshark
03-24-2013, 09:10 PM
You are absolutely correct. Focus on those flat areas. If you have mat left over, then you can cut small pieces and hit the other areas that include inner structure of the car.