PDA

View Full Version : Repair or Replace floor???

Todd in Vancouver
02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi All,

Just would like a bit of input on what I'm discovering on the floors of my car. I have for the most part a really solid floor on my car. The only part I really need to replace on the body is rear quarters, or so I thought. I'm currently cleaning all the undercoat off my car and I've found that there has been some repairs already done. If I had to guess it appears that somebody drove over something at one time and really dented up the floors;

I am not sure if 'm just being to picky as it's under the car and with a bit of hammer and dolly time I could get it straightened out but the floor sections are so inexpensive it may be just as quick to cut out the bad sections and mig in a new floor. Maybe a couple guys could chime in who have replaced floor sections and let me know what you would do iin this case. I'm a little over half way through scraping undercoat so I will have to wait and see what the drivers side reveals but with the undercoat over it it was almost a non issue other than I could tell there was a bit of a dent on the floor. The crapy looking welding I'm sure could be cleaned up with a bit of grinding and sanding.

Opinions??? :confused:

fast98
02-25-2013, 04:18 PM
I would replace that.

chops101
02-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Since you have it on a rotisserie, I would replace. You will be able to grind your welds from both sides as if nothing ever happened....

72Z/28
02-26-2013, 10:32 AM
If you decide to go with replacing the floor sections, just get the panels that are sold in bare metal not coated. The coated ones are made in Tiawan and not as thick of a sheet metal as the ones that come in bare metal, which are US Made.

I have recently replaced front driver and passenger panels as well as toeboards. I ordered the panels from Rickscamaros, however they sent me the Tiawan Made for the passenger side, even though chose the US Made panel(part no pp-12r). They promised to send me the correct panel free of charge, but unfortunately they sent wrong panels twice and I sent them an email back to inform them how disappointed I was with the handling of the parts, but they ignored the email and no reply back yet.

I gave up with Rickscamaros and I approached another supplier (Hear Beat City) where I finally got the panel that I have never gotten from Ricks.

I would order the panels from a supplier that offers only one brand. This way you will eliminate the changes of getting wrong panels

Rick Dorion
02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
On my 69 I had the entire floor replaced with the full length halves, not coated. They were nice and better detailed that the EDP taiwan items. I believe they were made in Canada.

KnightMare
02-26-2013, 12:03 PM
I couldn't help getting certain panels made in Taiwan because that's where some are only made. My Canadian and US pieces fit way better

Todd in Vancouver
02-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone. I contacted my local supplier and he told me he knew exactly what I was talking about and gave me this website to look at;

http://c2cfabrication.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=floor+pan+67+c amaro&x=68&y=6

They clearly label what is US made and off shore. Think I'll wait till the sand blasting is done and see exactly what I'm dealing with then order some pieces. I wasn't expecting this so who knows what else I may find once everything is cleaned up.

Once again the information I've learned from fellows like yourselves saved me from getting off shore crap and a big head ache. Thanks again all, I appreciate your help. :cheers:

icemanrd19
02-26-2013, 07:10 PM
If you are doing a t56 swap or if its something u might do then do it the same time u replace the floors

Todd in Vancouver
02-26-2013, 07:20 PM
If you are doing a t56 swap or if its something u might do then do it the same time u replace the floors

Great idea Ice, I'm running a TKO600 now but you never know what I might do down the road to try and catch the big boys :6gears: