PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Cleaning - "Permanent Dirt"

68Formula
08-12-2005, 10:50 AM
My daily driver sits outside most of the year. And let's just say it's not as pampered as my other car. Tends to get very dirty for long periods.

I've noticed when I turn the wipers on I can see streaks where the dirt baked into it.

What can I use to clean this off without resorting to buffing the windshields and possibly scratching or distorting the windshield?

Kenova
08-14-2005, 06:22 PM
You can try some of that cleaner made for ceramic stove tops. My wife has used it on a few hard to clean windows around the house. Works quite well. I don't know if it would have any adverse effects on your paint job though.
Ken

TonyL
08-14-2005, 08:27 PM
use CLR to remove hard water stains. Use only a little to prevent it getting on the paint. Use a fine steel wool on the glass to begin with. it shouldnt scratch the glass.

68Formula
08-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks. I'll try the stove top cleaner first, followed by CLR. Save the steel wool for last though.

Norm Peterson
08-16-2005, 03:44 AM
All my (running) cars sit outside 24/7 but I've never encountered a dirty windshield/window condition that didn't clean up with at most a couple of applications of spray bottle auto glass cleaner and wiping with newsprint. I don't know whether it's the presence of the ink or the paper texture itself that makes this a more aggressive cleaning method, but it sure beats Windex and paper towels.

Norm

astroracer
08-16-2005, 04:14 AM
Windex and a razor blade paint scraper works wonders. Use the windex as a lube and make sure the blade is new. This is what window tinters do to make the windows squeaky clean before applying the tint.
Mark

Jim Nilsen
08-16-2005, 06:55 AM
I use the windex and razor blade for removing overspray and it really works great. Like it was stated NEW blades work best and don't be cheap and try to make it last for the whole job, used ones still work for other things.

Jim Nilsen

Tig Man
08-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Try that with a sponge!! New glass again instantly!