PDA

View Full Version : Chassis works vs DSE mini tubs

Todd in Vancouver
02-18-2013, 11:01 PM
My local supplier carries Chris Alstons Chassis works mini tubs and if I go with the DSE then I'll have to order them in. The CA comes with the close outs to weld back into the frame and I believe the DSE does not (please correct me if I am wrong on this).

Now here is where I'm confused, the CA says they allow an extra 2 1/4" of room while the DSE claims 3" and a bigger tire size fit???

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-1969%20Camaro-Firebird-Products/040401-deep-tubs.html

https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1112-camaro-67-69-mini-wheel-tubs-with-sheetmetal-closeouts.aspx

From what I see both of them cut into the subframe to allow maximum clearance so how the heck is there 3/4 of an inch difference. They are very close in price but it is just WAY easier to go pick up the local CA kit and not have to make a run across the boarder and deal with Canadian customs.

What do you guys think of these two options and I'd really like to hear from anyone who has used the CA kit.

k9kevin81
02-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Im wondering the same thing. I posted a similar topic regarding the same question for a Gen II. Here is what I came up with....

-The CAC tubs are actually Detroit Speed's design. It doesnt state it on the web site unless you bring up the product on the page, then click on the documents tab. (Gen I & II) So Im guessing they are sourced directly from DSE?

-I have heard you need to box the rear frame as well. However, I havent had anyone who has done and install tell me that. The few people I have asked said you pretty much go flush with the outer frame rail and dont need to box it. (Gen II info) Intrerested to hear what people have to say.

Quickboat
02-19-2013, 04:00 AM
DSE kit includes patterns for "boxing" the frame rail behind the axle. I dont think they would include it if it was not needed.

Todd in Vancouver
02-19-2013, 08:10 AM
I've seen the video on the install and to get a maximum amount of room for the mini-tub then you need to trim the frame rail on the outside so you will need to box the open side that you cut into. Yes, you could just leave the frame but them you will just end up using a smaller tire/rim combo. thanks K9 that answered my question as it appears in the picture that they are almost identical and the measurement differences just didn't make sense.

Please if anyone has done this install with a CA mini-tub please post a note on here and let me/us know if in fact this is the case.

califconstruct
02-19-2013, 08:14 AM
I purchased and had the DSE installed on one of my 67 Camaros. Had to buy sheetmetal to make the filler pieces. I am also working on a 2nd 67 camaro of which I purchased the Chassis works mini tubs. The sheet metal fill pieces come provided in the kit, and appear to be the same as the pieces needed for the DSE kit. see pics. Quality seems good.

Todd in Vancouver
02-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks a million Art. I went and picked up my kit today and will be working on getting it in soon.

69X22
02-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Chassis Works link says 2 3/4 not 2 1/4 extra room.

My local supplier carries Chris Alstons Chassis works mini tubs and if I go with the DSE then I'll have to order them in. The CA comes with the close outs to weld back into the frame and I believe the DSE does not (please correct me if I am wrong on this).

Now here is where I'm confused, the CA says they allow an extra 2 1/4" of room while the DSE claims 3" and a bigger tire size fit???

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-1969%20Camaro-Firebird-Products/040401-deep-tubs.html

https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1112-camaro-67-69-mini-wheel-tubs-with-sheetmetal-closeouts.aspx

From what I see both of them cut into the subframe to allow maximum clearance so how the heck is there 3/4 of an inch difference. They are very close in price but it is just WAY easier to go pick up the local CA kit and not have to make a run across the boarder and deal with Canadian customs.

What do you guys think of these two options and I'd really like to hear from anyone who has used the CA kit.

Todd in Vancouver
02-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Chassis Works link says 2 3/4 not 2 1/4 extra room.

They emailed me and apoligized for the typo on their website and they have fixed it.

You welcome :thankyou:

houseofsteel
06-16-2013, 03:17 PM
installed chris alston mini tub kit in a 67 Camaro tubs fit great what they don't tell you is that the 67 has a square shock mounting so the frame rail inserts on the driver side are for 68\69 only