PDA

View Full Version : Record Runs at A.M.P. So Cal Challenge.

RobNoLimit
02-14-2013, 07:12 PM
The track record is now down to 43.2--. Set by Kowalski's little green 'Monster Miata'. During competition for the So Cal Challenge, a 200 TW tire rule is in effect. But, there is some interest in making record runs. A.M.P. track records have NO tire rule, so slicks are OK. How fast is 43.2--? well, I have ran 44.648 in the HellBoy on BGF KDW's at 300 TW. I know that Karl, Casey, Brian, Mike, Sal, Bret, and others have closed in on the 44-45 second range on street tires. On saturday, march 2nd, during the first So Cal Challenge of 2013, the track officials will allow record rund from 12:00pm to 1:00pm. (during the lunch break) Competitors who wish to attempt the record will be allowed to exit the lower track at 11:30 am, givin 30 minutes to change tires and prep. At 11:50, all other drivers will move their cars to the upper level for lunch, clearing the stack lanes for the cars and crews making record runs. During record runs, run groups will have a max of three cars. Get ready boys, I feel a new record coming. If your not there to see it, watch it live on Bangshift.com.

Cris@JCG
02-14-2013, 07:43 PM
We got some Hoosier's on order! Karl wants to see what it feels like to drive "Blu Balz" on slicks...

CA B4C
02-14-2013, 11:26 PM
This will be epic. The best talent and equipment in the Pro-Touring community looking to answer one question: Are YOU faster than a Miata?

SLO_Z28
02-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Are YOU faster than a Miata?

Supercharged Miata.... on slicks!

To anyone thinking about running some slicks, the tires I run are on sale right now, and in PT sizes even: https://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm (all the way at the bottom)

73CPCAMARO
02-15-2013, 08:07 AM
I will be there with the Corvette and run Goodyear slicks. We can't let a Miata hold the record.

Brian

Nessumsar
02-15-2013, 08:52 AM
The gauntlet has been thrown. This will make for an exciting lunch break!

79-TA
02-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Willy Mary be attending this event? She's been the quickest at AMP in my recollection . . . just needs A6's.

Flash68
02-18-2013, 12:31 PM
What speeds are the fast guys hitting on the straight?

Gitter Dun
02-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm in on this one. My car wont be ready till May so I'm hoping to make it down there some time this season.

Tomswheels
02-18-2013, 01:26 PM
What speeds are the fast guys hitting on the straight?

Well it depends on placement of the tires at the end of the backstretch that act to slow you down. With them tight together, I might have hit 80-85MPH, with them further apart or not there at all, 100?

Flash68
02-18-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm in on this one. My car wont be ready till May so I'm hoping to make it down there some time this season.

Yeah buddy! Me too... let's carpool down for one of the summer/fall events.

Well it depends on placement of the tires at the end of the backstretch that act to slow you down. With them tight together, I might have hit 80-85MPH, with them further apart or not there at all, 100?

Cool. Thanks Tom.

Gitter Dun
02-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah buddy! Me too... let's carpool down for one of the summer/fall events.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Just need to be sure the track will be set up exactly the way the Miata ran it.

Anybody have any details or info on this. When shooting for record runs is the tire chicane set up the same way every time?

mpozzi
02-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Willy Mary be attending this event? She's been the quickest at AMP in my recollection . . . just needs A6's.

Nope ... no car. IIRC, my best time was 44.04 and was on 200TW tires. With racing rubber, I'm betting those running with them will see a couple of seconds drop off of that.

Mary P.

SLO_Z28
02-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Nope ... no car. IIRC, my best time was 44.04 and was on 200TW tires. With racing rubber, I'm betting those running with them will see a couple of seconds drop off of that.

Mary P.

That third gen is beast, you should campaign that! I have it on good authority there some dude named "K-dawg" that is gonna be there campaigning a 3rd gen, so you wouldn't even be the only one!

mpozzi
02-18-2013, 09:13 PM
That third gen is beast, you should campaign that! I have it on good authority there some dude named "K-dawg" that is gonna be there campaigning a 3rd gen, so you wouldn't even be the only one!

I haven't a clue what you're talking about, James ...

Mary P.

CA B4C
02-18-2013, 09:25 PM
The tire chicane is setup in the same location each time, at least there was paint to mark the location, about halfway between the start/finish and turn one. During the SoCal Challenge cones are used instead of tires. I was at the top end of second gear before climbing on the brakes, some guys were grabbing third for a short blast. I would estimate 70 mph for most cars and 75 to 80 mph for a very well setup car. The corners are where all the time is going to be made or lost. There are a couple of good sweepers where speed was limited due to the harder (200 TW) tires. There are some good P/T fully capable of the new record. Good luck to all !!

mpozzi
02-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Can't remember 100% but I think the first SoCal Challenge used those tires at the end of the straight. Don't remember seeing pylons there then and pretty sure we'd have "nudged" those a bit to free up that straight if we had. Wasn't at the second one so could of had them there.

The first time I ran at night there, they had tires ... big ones, too.

I was pretty deep into third and downshifted right after the tires and before the bowl. Everything else was second gear. Was pretty busy at that point so apologize for no mph ...

Mary P.

soloracerSD
02-18-2013, 09:59 PM
I know the Miata. Stan's Green Mean Machine.. It runs in SCCA SSM class in SD it's winged with splitter and super chargeds,, When it runs it sounds more like a turbo.

Tires I think are 285size DOT competition Hoosiers.A6. You can see pics of it at lateapexphoto.com don't confuss it with the green Sprite.The Sprite is super fast.

Hello Mary.. Will you be at Good Guys Del Mar?

CA B4C
02-18-2013, 10:12 PM
You are correct Mary, tires at the first event. At the second event they were using cones and adding time if a cone was hit.

SLO_Z28
02-19-2013, 07:49 AM
I haven't a clue what you're talking about, James ...

Mary P.

The ESP car you ran at AAS last summer. The K-Dawg thing is in response to Brett trolling me about Casey.:)

RobNoLimit
02-19-2013, 08:50 AM
I hope the cones stay instead of the tires. This was done to help save paint on the nicer cars. Spacing has now been difined as "average car width per class + 7 feet. So, American Muscle class cars will run a 13 foot space, while the Miata club runs at 12 ft. 80 - 82 mph on the straight is as fast as I have been.

mpozzi
02-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Dang, Rob. You're braver than I was if you peeked. Agree about the tires and while I'm not too concerned about paint, others that have much nicer cars and paint do. It's good to see you accommodating them and still be able to get slowed down for the end.

Mary P.

mpozzi
02-19-2013, 09:22 AM

Saw your later post about an ESP car and still haven't a clue which one you're referring to. The one I ran the one time last year is definitely not "a beast." Based on the comment, it's obvious you've never seen the car in person ... ;-)

Mary P.

mpozzi
02-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Hello Mary.. Will you be at Good Guys Del Mar?

Depends on the price of diesel and have to figure out the total dollars it'll take to get me and the car there, lodging, meals (no matter what people say about having to eat, it does cost more to dine out when on the road), and getting back home again. I've got the time off work so one hurdle down ...

It's a definite-maybe if you held my feet to fire for a decision today.

Mary P.

LM7_67
02-19-2013, 05:23 PM
During the SoCal Challenge cones are used instead of tires.

That's fantastic! The tires leave pretty huge marks that are not easy to get off.....

SLO_Z28
02-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Saw your later post about an ESP car and still haven't a clue which one you're referring to. The one I ran the one time last year is definitely not "a beast." Based on the comment, it's obvious you've never seen the car in person ... ;-)

Mary P.

Its a Players Club car and is a beast by pedigree alone. Its shame to lock up a bad ass car like that.

tom_a
02-19-2013, 10:52 PM
For those hitting 80 plus on the back straight: If not a secret what rear gear are you running and are you shifting to third? I never focused on my top speed other than a quick glance which I thought was around 70MPH and still in second gear with a TKO and a 3:50 rear gear. My best times were mid 46 sec laps the two events I did. It would seem if I could do 80 MPH I could shave time. Thanks

RobNoLimit
02-20-2013, 09:01 AM
I have run three gear sets 3:31, 3:55 and 3:73. The truck has a TKO 600 as well. - I just put in Bowler's 'shift solution pack' and it is WAY better on the 2-3 shift, and the others. My best times have come from the 3:55 gear set and running in second gear all the way around. 3:31's net faster top speeds but are slower off the corner, and the 3:73's were too loose off the line.

67zo6Camaro
02-20-2013, 09:59 AM
I have a T56 with a 2.97 first gear and run 4.11's in the rear end with 18" 35 tires. I have to shift to 3rd in both those streights behind pit row (not good). I have run low 45's with this setup but it feels like I have to really work it. So, needless to say I've been thinking about going to 3.73's in the rear and maybe lower now that I have more power coming with my engine upgrade. See ya guys out there soon.

Tomswheels
02-20-2013, 05:08 PM
I have the same problem, 3.73 gear makes 3rd gear a necessity with the close ratio 6speed. I was between 80 and 85 at the end of the backstraight in this video... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOBhwFXO0mA. That was with 245/45 tires. Switching to 305/30 this time might actually make it worse.

SLO_Z28
02-20-2013, 05:55 PM
I was at the top end of first, which is about 75mph.

79-TA
02-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Are you guys sure about your back straight speeds? From what little gps verified data I've seen on a couple of quick cars, I'd be surprised if that many of you guys are getting over 70 (and not killing the tires or other surrounding obstacles.) Perhaps it's the more open chicane they give us at the SoCal challenge events.

Tomswheels
02-23-2013, 08:12 PM
I'll verify it for you Saturday...

DJW32
03-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Bump. Any new records?

RobNoLimit
03-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Brian and mike didn't make it down, both are working on mechanical issues getting ready for the Scottsdale Goodguys show. I ran the fast lap of the day with a 44.31 lap. Four months ago that would have topped the old record of 44.38, but not the record is 43.26. I have no doubts about one of us setting a new record on slicks (I don't have any to run on) I pushed in one corner and drifted through another, I'm sure I can run in the 43's on the Falcons, - we'll see tuesday night.

ehansen007
03-05-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm sure I can run in the 33's on the Falcons, - we'll see tuesday night.

Don't think it will be too cold? I may have to come out and watch for myself!

RobNoLimit
03-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Don't think it will be too cold? I may have to come out and watch for myself!

Well the weather is not helping, nor are my injector seals. No playtime tonight, just looks like a late evening getting things ready for Scottsdale Goodguys. :(