PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the rear of a 69 Camaro

crazyfireman
08-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I did a search of past posts and none really answered my question. I have lowered the front of my car, now the back looks goofy high! I have 1 full size leaf spring, and 2 smaller springs 3/4 of the length. My plans are to add either a rear air bar or 4 link, but for this weekends show can I take the 2 extra leafs out just for this show? I need to lower it 3/4 to 1 inch. I know this isnt the right way, but I plan on just doing it this weekend only. I have read the posts about dearching but I dont want to do that since I plan on redoing the rear suspension completely in a couple months. Thanks in advance.

MrQuick
08-10-2005, 06:00 PM
just thow a 1" block on it...too much trouble to remove leafs just for a show.

vanzuuk1
08-10-2005, 06:20 PM
I am not trying to be a smartass, but for one show fill the gas tank to the top and put something heavy in the trunk. My car drops an inch or more when I fill the tank.

MrQuick
08-10-2005, 06:24 PM
yes you are...hehhaa

Mean 69
08-10-2005, 06:55 PM
but for one show fill the gas tank to the top and put something heavy in the trunk.

You know, that is so easy! One of those "duh, just do this.." thingies. Just don't open the trunk to reveal the clever-ness!

And by the way, when it's time to re-do the rear suspension, you really should look for a three link solution. (Doh! Sorry, didn't mean that. Well, sorta.).

M

Larry
08-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Taking out leafs will vastly increase understeer. Of course, you can always fill the spare with concrete. ;-)
I've never been called on that during SCCA tech inspections.

vanzuuk1
08-11-2005, 03:30 AM
I was serious, if you just want to drop the rear a little for one show , why not?

crazyfireman
08-11-2005, 03:52 AM
The tank is full, and it still needs to come down an inch or so, I dont think I can find the blocks locally and the show is Saturday. Also why the 3 link??

CAMAROBOY69
08-11-2005, 03:57 AM
If you just need it lowerd for the weekend you could just fill the trunk as mentioned above or like you said pop a few leafs off each side then fill trunk up if necessary. If you take the leafs out be prepared to install new bolts because the old ones might break. I was in your exact same position last year. I dropped the front and the rear was 5" higher. Ended up taking more effort and time than I realized.

crazyfireman
08-11-2005, 04:33 AM
Cool, I will pull the extra 2 leafs out and see how it goes.

68Formula
08-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Pair of cast iron cylinderheads (put a towel down first).

CAMAROBOY69
08-11-2005, 04:39 AM
Cool, I will pull the extra 2 leafs out and see how it goes.
Good luck and take pics of your car at the show. Like I said. Be prepared to buy new bolts like U-bolts and the bolt that runs thru the leafs to hold them in place. Probably only take a couple hours max. :icon996: If the Ubolts are a pain just take a cutting wheel and cut the center of the U. They will pop off instantly.

crazyfireman
08-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Just to be safe, what is the safest way to remove them, where should I put the jackstands, jack etc to do it safely? As you can tell I am a newbie.

CAMAROBOY69
08-11-2005, 05:14 AM
Just to be safe, what is the safest way to remove them, where should I put the jackstands, jack etc to do it safely? As you can tell I am a newbie.
Jack up the middle part of the body just behind the door. I did it just in front of the rear tires where the leaf springs meet the front of rear frame. Under the door. There should be 3 bolts there. Thats where I jacked my car up. It keeps the jack out of the wy and its a very safe place to jack. Keep in mind your leafs are UNDER the axle so once the u bolts come disconnected, the entire car will want to drop right to the ground. Basically the only thing holding your car from falling to the ground is the 4 ubolts.

crazyfireman
08-11-2005, 05:51 AM
Ok I plan on doing it tomorrow, I will post pics thanks for your help!