PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone still using C4 brakes? Second gen Camaro questions

bretcopsey
02-04-2013, 11:16 AM
First let me begin by acknowledging that C5/C6 or even LS1 stuff is probably a better choice, however, I began collecting parts for my first gen Camaro before the turn of the century. Since that time I have begun another project (51 AD truck) that is using a second gen front clip. Rather than never getting anything completed due to perpetually buying the latest and greatest, I have decided that the truck will get the C4 stuff I already have on hand allowing for more aggresive brakes for the Camaro when I get back to working on it.

That said, I have been unable to locate any information on adapting C4 calipers to the second gen. All I have come across is for C5/C6 stuff. What I need to know are:

-Will I still need to cut the spindles down and use the dust shield mounting locations for the adaptor bracket? It seems like the original caliper mounting locations could be retained with just a trim to the caliper mounting ears?

-Are front and rear brackets available through any vendor? Or are there templates out there somewhere that I can use to make my own brackets?

-Any other words of advice or encouragement from those that have already done this?

Thanks!

Rick Dorion
02-04-2013, 11:36 AM
My experience with C4 setups, which I've done twice, is that they aren't well suited to manual applications. I was able to get performance I could live with using a 13/16" MC and aggressive pads. If you're going to do a power setup they should be fine.

bretcopsey
02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
My experience with C4 setups, which I've done twice, is that they aren't well suited to manual applications. I was able to get performance I could live with using a 13/16" MC and aggressive pads. If you're going to do a power setup they should be fine.

Rick, were either of those applications second gen Camaro? I will be running hydro boost on the truck, so that concern is addressed.

jpgolf14
02-04-2013, 05:02 PM
First let me begin by acknowledging that C5/C6 or even LS1 stuff is probably a better choice, however, I began collecting parts for my first gen Camaro before the turn of the century. Since that time I have begun another project (51 AD truck) that is using a second gen front clip. Rather than never getting anything completed due to perpetually buying the latest and greatest, I have decided that the truck will get the C4 stuff I already have on hand allowing for more aggresive brakes for the Camaro when I get back to working on it.

That said, I have been unable to locate any information on adapting C4 calipers to the second gen. All I have come across is for C5/C6 stuff. What I need to know are:

-Will I still need to cut the spindles down and use the dust shield mounting locations for the adaptor bracket? It seems like the original caliper mounting locations could be retained with just a trim to the caliper mounting ears?

-Are front and rear brackets available through any vendor? Or are there templates out there somewhere that I can use to make my own brackets?

-Any other words of advice or encouragement from those that have already done this?

Thanks!

Are you talking about the standard 12"x0.81" C4 brakes or the HD 13"x1.1" brakes?

jpgolf14
02-04-2013, 05:03 PM

Yes the C4 caliper uses quite small pistons. Nice for a high feel power setup but probably too much effort for manual.

bretcopsey
02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Are you talking about the standard 12"x0.81" C4 brakes or the HD 13"x1.1" brakes?

The HD 13" version.

Rick Dorion
02-05-2013, 04:19 AM
That's what I did on a 69 and 68 camaro.