PDA

View Full Version : Leaf springs with watts set up ?

BRIAN
08-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Just read below thread and there was link to nice looking watts set up for use with leaf sprung Mustangs?? I no they help with lateral movement but is there real benefit to using on say a better DSE or Gloabl high rate spring? Just curious as I have never seen the 2 used before?

Mean 69
08-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Yep, they work, in fact we have a car with that setup in my shop right now. Keep in mind that they only affect the lateral restraint of the car, and do compromise/alter the roll center height, but it is not obvious exactly what effect (isolated effect) this has. Go to a vintage car event, and look at the Trans Am cars, they virtually all have a PHB or Watts in conjunction with leaf springs.

Mark

wantahertzdonut
08-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Mean 69- When you say PHB, do you mean a Panhard Bar/Rod?

Mean 69
08-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Yep, I'm lazy!

M

Steve1968LS2
08-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Just read below thread and there was link to nice looking watts set up for use with leaf sprung Mustangs?? I no they help with lateral movement but is there real benefit to using on say a better DSE or Gloabl high rate spring? Just curious as I have never seen the 2 used before?

I will be running the FAY's-2 watts link on my Mustang (when I find a damn Mustang..)

I will test without then bolt on the unit and test with.. should tell the talke..

See it here:
www.Fays2.net

Jim is a racer and full of info, I am sure he could explain it better than I..

Steve1968LS2
08-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Yep, they work, in fact we have a car with that setup in my shop right now. Keep in mind that they only affect the lateral restraint of the car, and do compromise/alter the roll center height, but it is not obvious exactly what effect (isolated effect) this has. Go to a vintage car event, and look at the Trans Am cars, they virtually all have a PHB or Watts in conjunction with leaf springs.

Mark

I need to come visit your shop... you give tours???

Mean 69
08-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Not a whole lot to see in terms of "ooh" factor in the shop, other than the Lateral II project (which is in its infancy), but you and anyone else is certainly invited. Well, we do have a really nice 67 AIX Camaro in the shop too. Time is a bit scarce between now and SEMA, to say the least. Interesting, we have only been in the current shop for less than 6 months, and are already completely busting at the seams and looking for more space.

The "Fays 2" setup looks pretty decent, I have an acquaintance here in town that is basically the first one or two customers to get one. I think he's deployed at this time (Navy pilot), but his car should be a really good test of the capabilities, it is a super nasty 351C 71 Mustang race/street car. His is a bit different though, he runs (of all things....) a three link.

Not sure Super-Katz and I are going to make the vintage event this weekend at Laguna Seca, but this is a good way to see just how incredibly fast a well prep'd leaf car can run, namely the vintage Trans Am cars. Bring a towel to clean up afterwards, you won't be able to help the reaction when you see these awesome cars. Oh, and bring about three times as many when you see the Can Am cars...... Earplugs optional.

M

4MuscleMachines
08-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Hmmm, I was already getting ready to order the Fay's-2 Watts link, I wonder how it would work with composite springs which make the rear about 40lbs lighter?

Check out this link, any opinions?? Seems to be the best combo?

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=569700&highlight=composite+springs