PDA

View Full Version : what car for first project?

malMethod
09-05-2004, 02:51 PM
hey everyone! i have been visiting this site for a while now, but only registered today. i must say there are many awesome cars on this website. anyhow, im wanting to start a pro-touring project, and want to find a car. what kind of car is easy to find in decent shape, and has many aftermarket parts for it? which has parts that are easily found at junkyards and such? im a college student who is about to finish in a year, and wanted to start looking into 60s-70s muscle cars.

thanks in advance guys!

Steve Chryssos
09-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Given your current circumstances, I'd get me one of them 78 thru 80-something Malibu's.
https://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Malibu/robert_mccarter_79_malibu/Mvc-002f.jpg

Kenova
09-05-2004, 05:04 PM
I would have to agree with Steve. They are very easy to work with and the aftermarket support for these cars is growing.
Ken

Richz68
09-05-2004, 05:34 PM
You mentioned that you wanted 60-70's muscle and wanted to be able to find parts in junkyards.... well unless you live in a VERY Rural area in the dry West it ain't gonna happen.

You also mentioned that you are a college student which means that you will more than likely need to use it for school travel maybe a commute or just the ocassional trip back home or BEER RUN!! :cheers:

I know it is not a 60-70's muscle car or even a car for that matter, but I have been am lusting over the idea of having a say '88-'94 2WD 2-Door S10 Blazer GMC/Jimmy done up in monochromatic paint scheme to resemble a Typhoon with say a TPI or TBI or possibly a LT1. i think it would be a great looking ride; haul a few buddies on a camping trip or even spring break.

My friend at work just picked up a CLEAN 4.3L black blazer just to drive back and forth to work and I am jealous!! It was CHEAP and it looks soooo good driving down the road every afternoon on the way home.

malMethod
09-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Given your current circumstances, I'd get me one of them 78 thru 80-something Malibu's.
https://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Malibu/robert_mccarter_79_malibu/Mvc-002f.jpg

hey steve, that malibu is pretty smooth! i noticed parts catalogs for chevelles (restoration catalog) ...are chevelles easy to find or are they like the elusive 68-69 camaro?

Geeto67
09-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Basically you'll pay through the nose for anything halfway decent from the 1960's and early 1970s. Camaros, firebirds, and A-body GM cars are not hard to find at all, but getting one within a tight budget would be tough. A few good GM cars I would recomend are:

1968 to 1977 Novas: the 1968-72 cars look the best but cost the most. the later cars you can sometimes find for $500 and under (there was a guy selling a slightly rust 1974 around the corner from me with 69K on the clock). A lot of the early camaro stuff swaps over so there is a good aftermarket support and body panels are available.

1964 - 1972 Buick and Oldsmobile A-bodies: Body panels may be hard to find on these cars but their purchase price is lower than their chevelle/malibu/SS and tempest/lemans/GTO siblings. Engine parts are commonly available, and all the chassis stuff is shared with the chevelle so there is a decient aftermarket and you can always put a chevy in it (balsphmey). 4-door varients of these cars tend to go really cheap so that might be an option for building a protouring theamed 60's retro dragnet jack webb style police car (some a-bodies were police chase cars). the 69-72 bodies tend to be more expensive.

1978-1986 G-bodies (monte carlo, malibu, grandprix, regal). These cars have a decient aftermarket and there is still stuff in the junkyard for them, so parts are commonly available and cheaper than other muscle cars. They will take any engine (go over to v8buick.com and see some the low buck 1980's regals with 455s there). Chasis stuff is avaliable and most came with a chevy v8 in them (305 or 307). These cars can be picked up for peanuts and make really solid race cars. The Monte Carlo SS and Grand National are built off this platform. Personally I really like the malibus, they look the most muscle car like.

any 1975 up F body. The late second gen cars can still be had cheap. I would personally look for a 1977-1981 transam and they have the best coolness factor, with cool muscle car type options (shaker hood, etc). There is a lot of aftermarket for F-bodies in general. I would also look at thrid gen camaros, they are commonly available, have a lot of good parts and are cheap. IF you want to go for 1st gen f-bodies try to look for firebirds as they tend to be a little cheaper than camaros.

1980-1993 S-10 pickup/blazer. I have seen some really sick cars built out of these platforms for super cheap. There are v-8 swap kits available as they will take any engne, and they weigh a lot less than a 1960's muscle car. The typhoon and cyclone made sure there were handling packages for these trucks. If I had infinite funds, I would have a stripped out s-10 shortbed pickup (no carpet even) with a worked 350 and a 4 speed and 3:73s. Pure stop light terror.

1993-1996 caprice and derivates. Impala ss and police package handling components, lt-1 v8's in the buicks which tend to be cheaper than the chevies, and a million taxis from which to calabalize parts from. 9c1 police cars are awsome bargains.

Basically anything v-8 powered and rear wheel drive from GM, when in doubt look at fulsize cars to get that 1960's vintage feel for 1/3 the price of a muscle car. Anybody who has seen a 1967 impala ss 427 with that cool hood knows what I am talking about.

this should be a good start. a few final things. Spend the most money on the initial purchase and get a really decient car, having to undo mother nature's damage on a 60's piece of tin is a pain and a mone pit. Take it from me where the only original metal on my gto when it is done will be the hood, doors and roof, you don't want in over your head. If a really decient car in the bodystyle you want is a little more money, save the money and buy the better car. Always start with a running driving car, for someone just starting out dragging a shell home is a project that is way over anybody's head. The exception to this is a street legal drag car that has had a lot of work done and is sold sans engine and trans, these are really good deals for a good body style and usually a crate motor and tranny and you are back in business. Still you are better off improving on a running car than on something that will take a year to become running. Finally pick one car and stick to it, if you change projects midstream you will never get anywhere. Also do as much research as you can about the car so no one can rip you off. Best of luck and when in doubt ask a lot of questions, espically here. Cheers.

Steve Chryssos
09-05-2004, 07:18 PM
The vintage stuff is really a whole different ballgame. "Decent, affordable and available junkyard parts" are not terms that typically apply to late 60's early 70's F bodies and Chevelles. With a traditional classic, you really should consider storage, tools and a secondary vehicle into your equation. I like the S10 Blazer idea. Where I live 2WD models are virtually impossible to find. I don't know where yer at.

So I'm under the assumption that a senior in college will be moving around some, earning an entry level salary and building a future. If you are the exception (Corporate America is fighting over you and your trans-dimensional overthruster design :hail: ), then the sky's the limit.

I saw two cars last week that got my gears turning. One was a bone stock 81 Z28. The other was a granny green 72 Buick Skylark. You have to envision the car in it's customized state. Ride height, stance, wheel and tire selection--just about anything can be cool with the right mods.

The initial condition of the car far outweighs the status of the nameplate. Don't get too hung up on vintage muscle. I think it's real important for us old farts (I'm 37) to promote alternative platforms.

Here's some Pontiac Alternatives--all from one website:

http://www.pontiacheaven.org/images/jpgs/Garys_74_GTO.jpg

http://www.pontiacheaven.org/images/jpgs/78_grand_am_LF.jpg

This one's HOT!!
http://www.pontiacheaven.org/images/jpgs/69JTripleBlack.jpg

Pzary3233
09-05-2004, 08:45 PM
What about other makes? the fox body mustang? They can be made to handle really well, not to mention cheap to find and build compared to many GM cars. Yes I have GMs and will continue to but it's another option. Though I read someone posting about the '77-81 T/A cars... I was looking at one of those for a college car... man that would be fun! They can be found cheaply, but the RUST BADLY! Every one that I looked at was a rusty hulk... but I live in fla. But seriously look into pontiac cars... The pontiac motors do not take much to get them running very respectable numbers.

I'm a sophmore in college and I was going to bring the firebird up for my freshman year... but the idea scared me too much... parking, crime, etc. So I ended up with a daily driver GMC Sierra truck. That was my smartest move ever!

Good Luck!

malMethod
09-05-2004, 11:15 PM
streetfytr, what kinda car is that last link you posted, the black one? i can see that one decked out. im not too fond of that grand am style. in reply to pzary, i have an 80 fox mustang shell i was thinking of building up, and know where to get an original 86 5.0. both of these are coupes, not the hatchback, so thats awesome! anyway, i just see alot of fox mustangs around and wanted to do something different, but you are right about fox mustang platforms being cheap to build etc..i may just do that. thanks for your responses guys, they are very informative and i am overwhelmed!

Richz68
09-06-2004, 06:13 AM
The car you are asking about is the far too overlooked GRAN PRIX!!!

They are a SWEET ride and ultra hart to find, but would make a great looking car with the right wheel/tire-stance combo. Super smooth ride and tons of room. They were actaully bigger than most of the Cadillacs back then!

PLEASE BUY ONE OF THESE AND DO IT UP!!!

malMethod
09-06-2004, 07:12 AM
well i would if i can find one! ive never ever seen that model before, so they must be hard to find like you say. im not good at finding cars, what are yalls tricks?

will69camaro
09-06-2004, 09:53 AM
What exactly is your price range? I think if you're looking for a good cheap car with lots of parts available a Nova would be a good choice. You can find nice nova's for cheap alot of times. I know of one right now that can be had for 5-6k running with a new 350/4speed combo, has a bench seat :( but is an original SS car that is black and has VERY nice paint.

William

PeteRR
09-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Here's a project for ya: AMC Rebel (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6472&item=2488858755&rd=1)
You'll definitely stand out.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
The more I look at it, the more it grows on me. Plus with the plane vanilla color you can do anything to it, color-wise.

malMethod
09-06-2004, 02:25 PM
peteRR, that's an awesome car!!

in response to those who have asked about my budget, i am a self-employed graphic designer, and have a rather large project coming up in a week or two. with that being said, i would like to spend no more than 7k on a running, driving car. after this initial purchase, i can throw about a grand a month into upgrades, parts etc..

TonyL
09-06-2004, 02:39 PM
dont forget that zephyrs and fairmonts are really mustangs with different bodys on them, all of the suspention and drivetrain swap right out. and those things can be had for 500 bucks at a junk yard.

malMethod
09-06-2004, 02:51 PM
that reminds me... grand torino's are super slick cars as well. i saw a picture of an early 70s fairmont, and it was pretty cool too, especially cuz it can share parts with the mustang.

do you guys uusally find these cars for sale online, or do you have luck locally?

PeteRR
09-06-2004, 02:54 PM
that reminds me... grand torino's are super slick cars as well. i saw a picture of an early 70s fairmont, and it was pretty cool too, especially cuz it can share parts with the mustang.

do you guys uusally find these cars for sale online, or do you have luck locally?

I know a couple of old-timers. All they do is look for cars for people. I'm on their list for a '57 Desoto 2-door. 392 Hemi preferred. Convertible would be nice. :lmao:

will69camaro
09-06-2004, 03:20 PM
With a budget of 7k initial with 1k a month i'd say look into a nova like i mentioned (69 nova) or maybe if you're looking for something a little more modern i like the monte carlo SS's of the 80s and also the 3rd gen f-bodies have been growing on me (LT1/T56 swap eventually) or something of the sort. Or if you want to go Mopar Dusters can be had very cheap and can look very nice when finished.

William

Pzary3233
09-06-2004, 04:57 PM
if you want to go Mopar Dusters can be had very cheap and can look very nice when finished.

William

Hey the Duster is another good idea!!!
I Really like those cars... later on down the road you can get an aftermarket K member with coilover and kinds of fun things.
Or how about a Challenger?
The "lesser known" Cuda sibling, kind of like the Firebird and Camaro that was Dodge's "Pony Car" per se. Ralph hase been drooling over Cudas for a while now, haven't you??

Ralph LoGrasso
09-06-2004, 05:38 PM
The "lesser known" Cuda sibling, kind of like the Firebird and Camaro that was Dodge's "Pony Car" per se. Ralph hase been drooling over Cudas for a while now, haven't you??

Yup, I'd love a Viper powered 70 Cuda, tube frame running 335/18s all around...

BUT, Cuda and Challenger parts are much harder to come by from what I've seen with my friend who has a '70 challenger, there are less available pro-touring parts, and the cars themselves are pretty expensive.

To the original question...
I'd say if you want to build a 60/70s muscle car pro-tourer, the easiest option is the 1st/2nd gen F-body, they're one of the best platforms for a pro-touring car, the cars are on the expensive side, but parts can be had for a decent price, and there is a huge amount of aftermarket parts available for them.

malMethod
09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
yeah i was just looking at 2nd gen camaros. i love 1st gen camaros, but i also know that they are hard to come by in good shape. that duster looks killer -- are they easy to find??

a challenger was really my first choice but i heard from many sources that mopar parts are very hard to come by and they are all $$$$$$.

i would love to have a duster,i might have just made up my mind..if the price is right and they are around

Pzary3233
09-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Mal-

Don't forget the Dodge Dart, basically the same thing as a Plymouth Duster, I may be wrong but I think so. I have seen darts and dusters going around for maybe 1500 for one needed lots of work to a 1970 Duster that recently went for about 7000 with a built 360 and a Doug Nash 5 speed. I would like to build one of those mopar cars just because, like Ralph said, they are harder to get to handle well. That's part fo the fun of these cars isn't it? Let us know what you decide!

Though the 2nd gen T/A Might still be a good idea for you. They already handle well and depending on the car you might even end up with factory discs all around.

Good Luck!

TonyL
09-06-2004, 09:44 PM
actaully the dodge dart and plymouth scamp are the same car, (i dont think dodge made a duster variant did they? i could be wrong) but scamps have always been one of my favorite cars.... i let one just like this go for 650 bucks!!~~

wheres the "kicking my own ass" smiley?

will69camaro
09-06-2004, 09:44 PM
I think a Duster would be the way to go if you want to be different but for 7k you can probably find a camaro to start with if you really wanted a first gen. As for the Challenger, i myself would love to have one but to find a nice running challenger would get kinda expensive and to modify it would be even more. I would almost trade my camaro in a heartbeat for a challenger, just the cost is too high for me.

William

BlazerSpeed
09-06-2004, 10:24 PM
gotto admit you can do alot with a first gen box body blazer

http://www.blazinlow.com/images/gallery/netblazer/259.jpg

http://www.blazinlow.com/images/gallery/netblazer/197.jpg

http://www.blazinlow.com/images/gallery/netblazer/110.jpg

but second gens can be nice too:

http://www.blazinlow.com/images/gallery/netblazer/188.jpg

http://www.blazinlow.com/images/gallery/netblazer/153.jpg

DEREK

Steve Chryssos
09-07-2004, 04:14 AM
A lot of great responses here. So you have $7K, $1K per month and a wide range of available platforms to choose from. My best advice would be to launch a 90 day search. Don't buy anything for 90 days--even if you pass up a coupla good ones. After 90 days, your $7K will be $10K. $10K is a world apart from $7K.

My favorite research tool is:

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/

Create a login and flag cars that you like. Over the next coupla weeks, narrow down the list to the top three favorite platforms in your price range. Then get out there and check out some cars. Unless you really stuble onto the deal of the century, resist the urge to buy for 90 days.

malMethod
09-07-2004, 06:31 AM
A lot of great responses here. So you have $7K, $1K per month and a wide range of available platforms to choose from. My best advice would be to launch a 90 day search. Don't buy anything for 90 days--even if you pass up a coupla good ones. After 90 days, your $7K will be $10K. $10K is a world apart from $7K.

My favorite research tool is:

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/

Create a login and flag cars that you like. Over the next coupla weeks, narrow down the list to the top three favorite platforms in your price range. Then get out there and check out some cars. Unless you really stuble onto the deal of the century, resist the urge to buy for 90 days.

very , very good advice :)

Geeto67
09-07-2004, 07:38 AM
I am surprised you cannot find a clean 1st gen f-body for $7K. A Year ago I passed on a 1969 firebird convertable 400 car for $9K and that was a high option car (and rare to find at that price too), as well as a 1967 buick gs400 convertable with a good body for $4500. If you know what to look for a real muscle car can be found for $7K. Take streetfytr68's advice, put yourself at $10K and set your sights on a really clean car. The cleaner the car the less you need to spend down the road. I don;t think doing a 1st gen camaro (or any f-body) is all that different, but buicks, olds, and sometimes pontiacs from the muscle car era will probably give you the most bang for the buck in terms of price per looks.

Some of the methods I find cars are to drive through neighborhoods near the local racetracks, check with guys I know in the industry, read the local paper (a buddy of mine scored a 67 camaro six cyl for $500 once, because it was advertised as a 67 chevrolet in the paper), go to shows, and any time you see a cool old car out talk to the owner. If you are in memphis good junkyard surfing, you can often be surprised what is laying around in the larger lots (I found a 1970 442 convertable shell in a yard in louisiana). In terms of a whole car you won't find a great deal on ebay anymore, nor will it be in the big national papers. Your best bet is a local seller or free regional classifieds.

BlazerSpeed
09-07-2004, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=TonyL]actaully the dodge dart and plymouth scamp are the same car, (i dont think dodge made a duster variant did they? i could be wrong) but scamps have always been one of my favorite cars.... i let one just like this go for 650 bucks!!~~

Tony, the Dodge version of the Duster was the Demon, the guy up the block from me has had 2.

DEREK