PDA

View Full Version : upgrading my disc brakes to c5 brakes got questions.

chevnut55
01-31-2013, 06:09 AM
I just finished swaping my 69 camaro over to disc brakes using a mbm rear disc kit and factory style front with drilled/slotted rotors and braded hose and a new booster/master/prop valve. I guess I can sell everything to buy the parts I need to do the swap.
I ran into a great deal on 2000 corvette complete brake system and bought it.
I will be using the old drumb brake spindle and KORE3 adaptors.

The new master/booster prop will be swaped over to the c/5 set up.

the rear will be swaped over to the c5 disc/e brake.

I knoticed the rear back plate to axle is completly different, is there a way the back plate can be welded and drillet to fit the axle flange? or will I need to track down a f body set?

I know I need to get another caliper because of the staggered shocks ,on my last camaro I just moved the shock out 1" on the bracket..will this work on a 69 camaro too?

Should I use the c5 prop valve or elimante it and use a adjustabe valve?
and the brake hose, I know kore3 sells the adaptor lines but could I also just replace the lines with metric and eliminate fitting serching for the master/etc..?

Apogee
01-31-2013, 08:46 AM
That's a lot of questions/comments...in the order you asked them, you can use the C5 booster and master cylinder if you like, however the 2000 C5 MC has M12x1 and M12x1.5 ISO bubble flare outlet ports, so keep that in mind when doing your plumbing. There are other potentially better 1" bore MC options out there IMHO.

Since you plan on running a parking brake, you'll need a drum-in-hat solution that will work with the C5 calipers and rotors. AFAIK, there isn't anyone offering a modified LS1 backing plate that will serve that purpose, and certainly the stock one won't work, but there are some aftemarket options.

As for the shocks, it's either/or, you can run staggered calipers or you can inboard the shocks. If you're doing a mini-tub, then you'll be moving the shocks anyway.

The C5/C6 Corvettes don't have a proportioning valve, but rather 4-channel ABS with traction control. I would suggest running an 11-turn infinitely adjustable proportioning valve from one of the many aftermarket options.

Yes, you can use the Corvette caliper hoses, you'll just need to add adapter fittings to convert from M10x1 bubble flare to the 3/8-24 inverted flare on your OE hardlines or cut and reflare your hard lines to match your hoses.

HTH,
Tobin
KORE3

chevnut55
02-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the info.
so the only real issue is finding or modding the backing plate for the parking brake.
too bad the vettes did not use the caliper style e brake like I have now..much easyier.
I will be ordering the brackes soon..probley the hoses too as the vette hoses seem cheap.
I do not see a kit to swap the c5 brakes on,just seperate. can I package everything I need? thanks