PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Camaro - Where and What disc brakes to buy??

kylewo0
01-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Hi guys,

I will be in the market soon to buy a set of front disc brakes for my 69 Camaro. It has all around drum brakes. I have been out of the car world for a long time and have no clue where to start looking. I have been a member on pro touring for a long time and know this is the place to ask questions if any.

1969 camaro
Would be a weekend car. Not a frame off resto car, something I can drive to the car shows, out to eat, hell maybe even to Arizona one day.)

Also will be looking for a complete inside wire Harness, thinking AAW or Painless, any recommendations? list part number if able. this car has original wires, they are hard, cracked and, kinda all over the place, looking to clean this car up! ;)

Any help is appreciated, Thank you.

a67
01-25-2013, 07:29 AM
I'd be tempted to put stock '69 disc brakes up front. They are the D52 caliper which is quite common, along with an 11" rotor. Will need to either swap or modify the spindles. The anchor boss is shorter with the disc brakes. Will need new front brake hoses as they are different between drum & disc.

The best part is that being stock it all bolts right up. No surprises.

The only other item is proportioning between the front discs & rear drums. What I did when I did this swap was to put slightly smaller wheel cylinders in the back. IIRC, they were for a Monza.

Bob.

im4u2nvss
01-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Check out Kore3, they have lots of good options.

Camaro1968
01-25-2013, 08:42 AM
I bought a set of 4 wheel disc brakes from Right Stuff Detailing. I did a lot of research and found plenty of good reviews to back those up. You can buy kits from most anywhere including matt's classic bowties or summit.

I also got an aaw kit based on research and many good recommendations on different forums. Keep in mind, I am about to put all this stuff on my car soon, so this is based only on what I bought and not my experience using it just yet. I'd be happy to post results in my build thread once I'm finally home long enough to install everything.

nicks67camaro
01-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Check out Kore3, they have lots of good options.

X2 and they have great customer service and technical support.

kylewo0
01-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Thank you all for the quick responses, this gives me something to start researching with.

68lovebuzz
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
American auto wire is quality stuff with many delco style if not delco connectors and plenty of opportunities to add some features down the road ie console, bigger stereo, AC, power windows.... Tobin at kore 3 had had the best customer service I've ever dealt with in the car world. Usually answers emails in hours. I recommend him for big Brake stuff. The right stuff is your go to on more factory stuff and they know camaros.

Classic Nova & Performance
01-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Regarding the disc brakes, you have a lot of options starting with basic 11" w/cast iron calipers up to 14" w/billet calipers. Keep in mind that the rotor hat is slightly thicker than a drum face and will push your wheel out that dimension.

Regarding the wiring: In my opinion AAW is the only way to go. They are excellent quality, color coded correctly, with the correct connectors to be "plug & play". We've sold both their 'Factory Fit' & 'Classic Update' harnesses for years with excellent results & feedback. If you want the 'Factory Fit' harness I would need more information (factory gauges or lights, etc.) to give you p/n's. The harnesses are available in the same sections as the original harnesses. Dash harness, engine harness, front light harness, etc.

Feel free to call or e-mail if you have questions or need information.

kylewo0
01-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Thank you Walt. thank you all,

I will call you when I get ready to purchase. I called and talked to AWW. Seems like 500686 may be for me.

I do not have factory gauges. I have 5" phantoms, and a few 2 1/2 ones, although I could go back to factory in the future,) I have a LT1 with painless harness, which may need to be replaced one day so the engine harness wont be used.

Really in need for new wires to eliminate faulty hard old ones, and to clean this car up alil.)

Tom Welch
01-26-2013, 02:16 PM
kore 3 will answer all your questions, size, brake bias, proportioning valve, master cylinder, friction material, all of them.

Jay71
01-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Last winter I re-wired my 71 Camaro with an AAW classic update kit and this winter I'm updating my brakes with Kore3 C6 fronts and C5 rears. Both are great kits, both companies were/are great at answering questions.

Anthony k
01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
I was in same boat as original poster.

I went with 13" corvette front stuff, using drum spindles.
The right stuff rear conversion with park brake cables.
And a 9" booster/master set up from national parts depot.

Hope it works good

Classic Nova & Performance
01-28-2013, 07:27 AM
"Seems like 500686 may be for me."

The "Classic Update" harness is a great choice!! Im sure you'll be very happy with it.