PDA

View Full Version : Non-GM Pro-Touring cars??

1BadT-bird
01-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Now before anybody throws a grenade at me, I'm NOT against GM. It just seems that if you don't run a GM product of some sort, and you post a thread here, you don't get many responses. Well maybe 1 or 2.

Just curious :hmm:

Rod
01-20-2013, 08:22 PM
just more GM here than not, same at many of the events I go to, I dig seeing a vintage 60s or 70s mustang, falcon, AMC done up PT

Todd in Vancouver
01-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Funny enough it seems like it has just always Been that way no matter what I've ever done. I've had a Challenger, a hopped up Gremlin X etc. but I've always been out numbered GMs till I ended up owning one. I'm sure a lot has to do with the cost of parts but I've found most guys like anything of quality with a good build. There is also a similar discussion going on in Camaro Performers in regards to 3rd gen Camaro owners not feeling the love, but there just isn't as many of them being built. As in all business it's all about supply and demand.

Thephranc
01-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Familiarity. If some one with a 69 mullet machine posts or asks questions given the amount of of them represented here you will get more responses because people know about them. Conversely if I ask about the best way to lower the front of my 1980 AMC Spirit I don't expect many to tell me how. They simply don't know.

Rod
01-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Familiarity. If some one with a 69 mullet machine posts or asks questions given the amount of of them represented here you will get more responses because people know about them. Conversely if I ask about the best way to lower the front of my 1980 AMC Spirit I don't expect many to tell me how. They simply don't know.

I have a 1963 AMC Rambler wagon along with a "mullet machine" that was lowered but now it has different suspension, if you have the removable spindle like the early AMC cars you can use a lowering plate, or you could have new front springs made, the rear need to have the eyelet position changed, leaf arch changed or lowering blocks but dont use more than 2 inch blocks

AMC Lowering plate

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Thephranc
01-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I have that template turned into a vector file so I cab print out templates from my plotter or can be used in a router/water jet/laser/plasma table etc..

andrewb70
01-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Now before anybody throws a grenade at me, I'm NOT against GM. It just seems that if you don't run a GM product of some sort, and you post a thread here, you don't get many responses. Well maybe 1 or 2.

Just curious :hmm:

John,

First, welcome to the forum. Second, perhaps you need to look at the most popular "Project Updates" before making such a sweeping generalization. The Top 10 Project Update threads, as ranked by views, include 4 non-GM builds. That is a solid 40%. First place also happens to be a non-GM build. The top 20 threads have 8 non-GM builds, again, 40%...

Enjoy, and stop feeling like an underdog...LOL

Andrew

nekkidhillbilly
01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
well even other gms other than chevys and pontiacs dont see the love. i have 2 buicks they arent a car you can order parts from the magazine for.

Bryce
01-24-2013, 06:59 PM
John,

First, welcome to the forum. Second, perhaps you need to look at the most popular "Project Updates" before making such a sweeping generalization. The Top 10 Project Update threads, as ranked by views, include 4 non-GM builds. That is a solid 40%. First place also happens to be a non-GM build. The top 20 threads have 8 non-GM builds, again, 40%...

Andrew

My falcon in one of them. And thats odd for a ford.

1BadT-bird
01-25-2013, 06:48 PM
i have 2 buicks they aren't a car you can order parts from the magazine for.
I hear ya there. 80' thru 88' T-Birds are Fords Red-headed Step-children. But yet that's why I love 'em.

1BadT-bird
01-25-2013, 06:53 PM
John,

Andrew

I will Andrew, on all points. :smoke:

Tomswheels
02-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Still waiting on the leaf springs and torsion bars on my Barracuda to gain popularity on this site!

GrabberGT
02-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I need a larger sway bar but nobody makes one. Oddly enough, the Falcon has multiple to choose from all the way up to 1.25. My options stop at 7/8 and the Falcon is a lighter car.

Bryce
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Chris, the falcon sway bar is the same as a mustang. at least according to vedors. My 1.125 does fit all that well and a splined bar is in the near future.