PDA

View Full Version : To tub or not to tub?

Quickboat
01-20-2013, 02:22 PM
I started this project thinking just DSE Mini tubs with some repairs on a trunk floor that had known issues. Well it turns out I need a full trunk floor and outer wheel houses. I thought I had a good idea how the tubbing was going to go, but now my question is on how to procede on this project. I am now removing the trunk floor down to the frame rails which look pretty good and any rust I see. I dont know if I have to install the new trunk floor first or install the wheel houses first? Since most of the illustrations in pctures on here or other threads are without sheet metal, any advice on doing this with sheet metal already installed would be helpful.
TIA

ROLLDAMTIDE
01-20-2013, 04:02 PM
I was in that position too. I put the full trunk in and then worried with the wheelhouses. Everything worked out fine. Good luck

Quickboat
01-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Luckily the wheel houses are not even attached to the quarters. The quarters are solid, likely replaced w/o the houses.

daredvl22
01-20-2013, 05:42 PM
I'd do the floor first, then the tubs. It's pretty easy to trim a little as you go to fit the tubs in perfectly. At least that's how I did it and it worked out pretty good. Good luck.

Quickboat
01-22-2013, 09:55 AM
I've heard that a full trunk floor cannot be installed with the sheet metal already in place. Anyone know a way around this? I am trying to preserve the intact and fairly decent paint that exists.

DEIGuy38
01-29-2013, 08:05 PM
If the truck floor is good from the frame rails to the quarters just replace that section (between the frame rails) That is what I did. If not I think you can remove the wheel tubs, which you need to do anyway and remove the Y braces behind the back seat. They go from the package tray to the rear floor pan, slid it in from inside the car then reinstall the braces. Just a thought.

KHShapiro
02-02-2013, 05:22 AM
one other thing to consider as well. IF you plan on stretching the fenders and quarter or flaring them you might want to reconsider a mini tub or the depth... that is unless you have already bought your rearend housing then you will just have to use offsets. im mini tubbed but now I am also stretching the quarters so I have to really work an offset. kinda not looking forward to that.

Quickboat
02-02-2013, 06:19 AM
I have already removed the entire trunk floor floor up to the back seat floor pan. I am now working on removal and replacement of the outer wheel houses. I have the DSE inner tubs and I'm debating leaf springs or links. I planned on buying a new 12 bolt, wheels and tires so a four link might be unaffordable with this upgrade. But the shock channel with the DSE kit requires a trim of the forvard section of the trunk pan anyway so fitting this thing might not be the problem. gosh when you start one of these projects it is amazing how the cost options can begin to spiral...

regal454
02-02-2013, 06:33 AM
gosh when you start one of these projects it is amazing how the cost options can begin to spiral...

Thats the truth! My project started by merely replacing the control arm bushings lol.

Quickboat
02-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Thats the truth! My project started by merely replacing the control arm bushings lol.

lol
My wife is great about it all but there is a point where she begins to wonder.