PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Proportioning Valve location

XLexusTech
01-19-2013, 04:52 AM
i have this crazy idea, I was thinking of mounting the adjustable prop valve to the engine side of the firewall positioned such that i could run the knob stem through the firewall.
Then I would extend the knob stud with a support of course such that i could have the actual knob on the dash.
First has this been done? If so Pics for examples?
Second does the valve have to be mounted in a way that makes this impossible... Most valves i have seen have the knob vertical...

thanks in advance....

BTW the goal is to have access to adjust the balance realtime.. say for example if I am on a long road course.

AintQik
01-19-2013, 07:52 AM
I have a 67 and one of the cars I looked at before this one had it mounted in the floor. I thought it was neat, but could not think of a reason why I would be fussing with it once set. Having said that I am new to racing in anything other than a straight line so I may be missing something.

It could certainly work thru the firewall, but you would need to fab up a long handle. Its probably at least 9" to the dash area.

I mounted mine to the factory bracket for the prop valve on the side of the master. Took a fit of light fab but it looks likes it belongs there.

Munster
01-19-2013, 06:20 PM
I have seen a few that come up thru the floor near the left edge of the drivers seat, just the knob there at floor level, so it is an easy reach down to adjust on the fly for track conditions or brake variances. On the old F bodys there is a two peice front to back brake pipe that can be tapped into right there with out modifing the lines. It is where the old brake balance pressure reg sat.

Apogee
01-19-2013, 08:36 PM
You could run a cable adjustment, much like the dual master cylinder balance beam setups such as the Wilwood #340-4990 (http://www.wilwood.com/Pedals/PedalProd.aspx?itemno=340-4990), then location or orientation wouldn't be important. As for the valve itself, it can be mounted in any orientation up, down or sideways, so that shouldn't be a factor.

In my experience though, the 11-turn infinitely adjustable units are really not that conducive to on-the-fly adjustments, mostly due to the fact that finding reproducible settings is virtually impossible without tweaking, tuning, etc. since you have no frame of reference other than the number of turns from all the way in or all the way out. What happens when you want to set it back to where it was before and you're not quite sure how far you adjusted it?

If your goal is to compensate for tire heat, fuel load, etc, then you may want to consider a detent style adjustable proportioning valve, as they're much better suited for motorsports applications where you're wanting to compensate for changing variables during an event. The Wilwood #260-8420 (http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd.aspx?itemno=260-8420) is a good example and will actually give you repeatable settings without chasing your tail.

Tobin
KORE3

LS6 Tommy
01-20-2013, 07:11 AM
In my experience though, the 11-turn infinitely adjustable units are really not that conducive to on-the-fly adjustments, mostly due to the fact that finding reproducible settings is virtually impossible without tweaking, tuning, etc. since you have no frame of reference other than the number of turns from all the way in or all the way out. What happens when you want to set it back to where it was before and you're not quite sure how far you adjusted it?

If your goal is to compensate for tire heat, fuel load, etc, then you may want to consider a detent style adjustable proportioning valve, as they're much better suited for motorsports applications where you're wanting to compensate for changing variables during an event. The Wilwood #260-8420 (http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd.aspx?itemno=260-8420) is a good example and will actually give you repeatable settings without chasing your tail.

Tobin
KORE3

X2. We had that one in the GT1 Camaro...

Tommy

Bryce
01-20-2013, 08:32 AM
I have one mounted under the floor by the drivers seat. I have the know coming into the passenger compartment and I can adjust with the 5pt harness on.

David Pozzi
01-20-2013, 08:36 PM
The cable adjusters have a lot of lash, meaning you can turn it a half turn & maybe not turn the prop valve at all, or maybe a half turn. If I do one again, I'll turn the valve around for a straighter cable. A straight rod is a good idea. Make sure you can reach it with your seatbelt on.

Classic Nova & Performance
01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Never tried one of the cable adjusters. I've run the adj. valve up through the floor and have liked them. As Dave said be sure you can reach it while belted in.

p.s. to Dave: I love your signature line!! :-)