PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen C5 Caliper Adapter Bracket -- Template

67FirebirdKiller
01-15-2013, 06:28 AM
So I just read through all 4 pages from searching "C5 Template" ... it should have come up if it was there. Its been asked time and time again and I cant seem to find it, anyone have the template for the C5 adapter bracket? I just dropped good $ on a plasma cutter and I'd like to put it good use cutting these out. Thanks!

Jay

CapSS92
01-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Try this one. The calipers should measure the same.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1197523&postcount=10

67FirebirdKiller
01-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Thanks, i checked it out but are you sure thats for 97-04 C5 brakes (Calipers cast with "Corvette") onto a 1st Gen Firebird/Camaro? A quick comparison of the usual vendors pics of their brackets show them with holes that line up like this \ / or / \ or this \ | compared to these \ \ you know what i mean? Am i over thinking it??

jpgolf14
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM

That is quite an interesting way of calling out the dimensions, especially coming from a machinist.

I realize that may not be your bracket, you may just be sharing info.

First of all the caliper holes are too small. The C5 caliper uses M14 fasteners, so the holes should be around 0.56 or so. The hole spacing of 128mm is correct. I do believe the 4th gen F-body uses M12 fasteners. Even if that is the case, the spec'd hole of 0.515 is a bit on the large side for an M12 bolt.

The other interesting thing is that the one spindle hole is larger than the other. Is that the way the first gen spindles are? The 0.64" hole would suggest a huge fastener.

67FirebirdKiller,

I am not a first gen guy. But I do have some of the dimensions you need. For the standard 12.8" C5/C6 rotor, the caliper holes should be on a 4.209" radius from the center of the spindle pin. They are 128mm apart and need to accommodate a M14 fastener.

If you can tell me the locations and sizes of the spindle holes with respect to each other and the center of the spindle pin, I would be happy to create a drawing for you.

John

Rod
01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
The other interesting thing is that the one spindle hole is larger than the other. Is that the way the first gen spindles are? The 0.64" hole would suggest a huge fastener.

yep! there are 2 differant size bolts on the firsts gen, the upper is the larger of them

67FirebirdKiller
01-16-2013, 08:02 AM
67FirebirdKiller,

I am not a first gen guy. But I do have some of the dimensions you need. For the standard 12.8" C5/C6 rotor, the caliper holes should be on a 4.209" radius from the center of the spindle pin. They are 128mm apart and need to accommodate a M14 fastener.

If you can tell me the locations and sizes of the spindle holes with respect to each other and the center of the spindle pin, I would be happy to create a drawing for you.

John

Thanks for the input John, I can get the dimensions this weekend and would greatly appreciate your help with this. Worse case is I'll have to make my own template by fitting and doing the measurements which i dont mind, just figured if the template was available somewhere, I could just cut them out and move onto all the other work needed on the car.

Thanks again.

Jay

67FirebirdKiller
01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
I checked on the part numbers from that posted thread and they are old Napa #'s for front/Rear Camaro/Firebird Calipers so that bracket will not work with C5 calipers. I see that problem of reference too much all over the internet too, LS1 Brake swap is a bad way to refer to these brakes, it should be F-BODY Vs C5, LS1's came in all 3 vehicles so it shouldnt be used a reference. He did a good job on them though nonetheless, I however already have C5 calipers so I'd like to use those vs. the F-body.

67FirebirdKiller
01-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Decided against the C5 calipers for the time being. Picked up some porsche calipers, gonna try these out and fab my own bracket. If i return to the C5 caliper idea I'll post up. thanks for the replies.