PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat or anodize machined aluminum parts?

MichaelLeeHearn
01-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Is it better to powder coat or have the parts anodized?

Parts are for the suspension if this helps. ( uprights, control arms, brake rotor hats and rear crossmember upper support bar.)

mikey
01-15-2013, 08:42 PM
All my DSE suspension parts are powder coated and we powdercoat all our sprint cars frames for durability Ring Bros. anodizes their hood hinges due to cleaance issues. So I think it's kinda amatter of personal preference

parsonsj
01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Powder coating is thick... so if the parts have threads or other close fitting parts, I'd anodize, unless the powder coater takes care to mask those areas.

Rebeca_Lynn
01-16-2013, 07:09 AM
I will get them anodized then as everything is multiple pieces. Now to see if I can get it to match the powder coat we are using on the chassis and rollcage.

parsonsj
01-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Matching anodizing and powder coat is difficult -- and actually some contrast is good, both aesthetically and for maintenance.

If you are determined to get it to match, do the anodizing first, then match the powder coat to it, rather than the other way around. Defining an exact color via anodizing is very difficult.

sjaroslo
01-16-2013, 10:00 AM
D'oh! I was going to ask if anodizing was only for aluminum parts--didn't read OP's title!

Rebeca_Lynn
01-16-2013, 10:53 AM
We are thinking a silver or gun metal gray on the suspension for anodizing and matte black on the chassis for powder coating. We know to have everything done at one time to ensure they match.