PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find the right brake package.

MichaelLeeHearn
01-12-2013, 10:26 AM
I have already pieced together a brake package with AP racing parts

Front end -
356mm slotted rotors solid mount style, 36mm thick
6 piston mono block DP style calipers
I will have to have custom hats and mounting brackets made

Rear
330mm slotted rotors, solid mount style, 36mm thick
4 piston mono-block DP style calipers
IPSCO mechanical parking brake calipers
Custom Hats and mounting brackets will have to be made.

RCR that is building my my GT40 MKII kit, uses C6 hub and bearings with there own uprights.

SO I have been looking at some C6 based brake packages
I ran across a package from Brembo for both front and rear and a e-brake caliper they also see.

Front -365mm Slotted and or Drilled rotors and 6 piston calipers with hats
Rear - 345mm Slotted and or Drilled rotors with 6 piston calipers with hats. The I would add there 2DO e-brake caliper they sell.
I would still have to have custom brackets made for the calipers.

I am pretty sure I will go with the Brembo package now that I have found on and I have verified that it will work with the uprights made by RCR. My question is do I want to go with the slotted rotors or the Drilled and slotted rotor packages. The car is going to be used both on the track and street as I know this makes a difference

jpgolf14
01-12-2013, 01:05 PM
So the brembos use a seperate e-brake calipers? If so, make sure you do the research on those, not very good reviews with any of the brands that I have seen.

Does the Vette based kits not use the vette drum style e-brake?

MichaelLeeHearn
01-12-2013, 02:28 PM
I will have to double check about that. As it is not included with the packages, so you will be right most likely. The E-brake caliper is an optional part for several other kits they sell and was how I found it.

I can not use the drum style with the way my rear uprights are made. So I have to use a separate e-brake caliper.

As you can see there is not a lot of space with the way the uprights had to be designed for the stock style suspension set-up.

dontlifttoshift
01-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Slotted.

Check out the parking caliper GMR sells, it may be up your alley. IPSCO who manufactures it but its the same caliper the viper guys use when they upgrade brakes. http://thegmr.com/?page_id=1706

MichaelLeeHearn
01-12-2013, 07:04 PM
I was looking at the IPSCO caliper with my AP racing set up as a few other GT40's I know of have used them.

If I go with the Brembo set-up I would like to use there caliper if possible.

Overall both set-ups will cost close to the same.

I am trying to figure out if it is better to go with the drilled or slotted or drilled and slotted rotor set up.

MrQuick
01-12-2013, 09:52 PM
since it uses a C6 hub why not use a C6 backing plate, adjuster and shoe? Its a very flat set up. Its tough to see from your pictures but it looks like it should work. Looks like the upright has enough meat on it to drill 2 12mm holes. Then you can use what ever rotor hat that fits a C6 offset.

jpgolf14
01-13-2013, 10:31 AM
I will have to double check about that. As it is not included with the packages, so you will be right most likely. The E-brake caliper is an optional part for several other kits they sell and was how I found it.

I can not use the drum style with the way my rear uprights are made. So I have to use a separate e-brake caliper.

As you can see there is not a lot of space with the way the uprights had to be designed for the stock style suspension set-up.

I still don't see why the OEM Vette e-brake wouldn't work. Maybe I am missing something.

jpgolf14
01-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Slotted.

Check out the parking caliper GMR sells, it may be up your alley. IPSCO who manufactures it but its the same caliper the viper guys use when they upgrade brakes. http://thegmr.com/?page_id=1706

The effectiveness of the IPSCO caliper is highly questionable based on the research I have done. I have not personally used it. Do you have any first hand experience?

dontlifttoshift
01-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Yeah, it works pretty good but is very sensitive to adjustment. The biggest issue I had was using a Lokar cable setup, each parking caliper is it's own system so after setting the clearance at the caliper properly one would grab and the other wouldn't. I got it adjusted but it was a pain in the arse. I think the secret, I think, is to use a single cable on both calipers and pull with a horseshoe that is hooked to a nother cable and then to your handle/pedal. I haven't tried that yet but that should cure it.

keithq69
01-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Both of my brothers Aston Martins have had a separate caliper for the parking brake.
I think they may have an electric hydraulic setup, not sure though.

Apogee
01-14-2013, 08:46 AM
...I am trying to figure out if it is better to go with the drilled or slotted or drilled and slotted rotor set up.

For street and track use, I would suggest that you run the slotted rotors as they should give you all of the advantages with respect to pad wiping and such without any of the disadvantages associated with drilled rotors, primarily cracking under severe-duty use. Slots are typically cut to the minimum disc thickness as well, so they serve as a wear indicator on the discs, much like a wear bar on a tire. Depending on the pads you choose to run, you may be chewing through discs fairly quickly.

Tobin
KORE3

MichaelLeeHearn
01-14-2013, 09:34 AM
I figured the slotted rotors were the way to go, but figured it was best to check.

As far as the e-brake system goes. I am only planning to you them as a parking brake not as E-brake for say. So I will most likely go with a the caliper set-up if not for anything else than appearance. I have found an electric parking brake system I am planning on using due to lack of spare space in the cabin of the car.

Once I get more information the electric system I will post it.

I am leaning more to running the AP racing system I have planned on running originally. As the rest of my brake system is components from them also ( pedal box, Master cylinders, porting valve and such ). Only issue with running this set-up is I am having to have custom hat machined as AP leaves this up to the buyer with this series of products.

dontlifttoshift
01-14-2013, 10:49 AM
As far as the e-brake system goes. I am only planning to you them as a parking brake not as E-brake for say. So I will most likely go with a the caliper set-up if not for anything else than appearance. I have found an electric parking brake system I am planning on using due to lack of spare space in the cabin of the car.

If it is either of the aftermarket street rod type setups I would pass on those. There are similar setups available for use in handicapped vehicles as well and it seems they all use the same set up. A linear actuator running some sort of bell crank. All that I have seen are sort of hokey and certainly not on par with the rest of your parts selection.

The oem CTS-V park brake actuator is quite adaptable and functions perfectly.

MichaelLeeHearn
01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Yes they were aftermarket options I had found. I will look into the CTS-V option or just go with a normal manually operated system.

Is this what you are talking about. I did a quick search and found them. They are a lot cheaper than other option I have looked at. Would I need to get one unit or two (one for each side of the car) and control them with a single switch?

dontlifttoshift
01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Thats the one. You only need one and then run that to a balance bar or horshoe setup from there. You want both brake mechanisms to see the same load. So picture a stock '69 camaro cable setup or similar, and then instead of a handle or pedal you hook to the cable coming from the brake actuator.

http://store.controlcables.com/servlet/StoreFront These guys can build cables of any configuration to fit your needs.

MichaelLeeHearn
01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
That is what I figured but thought it was better to double check. I know about the set-ups you are talking about to use with them.

A few more parts now added to the list.

Payton King
01-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Essex Parts is developing hats for the floating 14 inch AP J-hoock rotors and AP 6 piston caliipers for the C6Z06. Should work for your application.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3193234-any-c6-z06-owners-in-charlotte-nc-interested-in-a-discounted-ap-racing-brake-upgrade.html