PDA

View Full Version : ZF Corvette tranny in a 1st gen?

sfpaintball
08-08-2005, 04:54 PM
I've got a customer w/new ZF 6-spd for a later 90's ls1 vette who wants to trade for very little $-wise. I think I know why he can't dump this tranny.

I tried Weir and ATS.....no dice.

Are there any parts out there that I can use w/o major fabbing?

Do I just have to give this deal up?

JodysTransmissions
08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Do yourself a favor and pass. The last time I checked, the cores were worth $1100.00 from ZF. I'm sure they went up since then.

Regards, Jody

chicane67
08-08-2005, 07:07 PM
ZF North American only gets shipments to the US when the crate from ZF Euro is big enough to ship and to make it worth the dime.

In the early 90's when working for Guldstrand, I was one of the only guys in North America that was manufacturer certified to re-build ZF's...... and I'll tell you...... sometimes it takes 6 to 8 months just to get simple parts. But now there are ZF specific re-manufacturers here in the states and that wait is a little less.

None the less, the ZF will work in an early model as I have done a few of them. But in my opinion....... it isnt worth the involved headache considering any re-building cost later down the road.

I will second the "do yourself the favor and pass on this one."

The reason ATS was a no go, is that I dont have the time to wait around to get you parts in a reasonable amount of time. But if you are left with no other options, give me a ring and we can work someting out.

MuscleRodz
08-08-2005, 08:16 PM
You will have to fab a crossmember to use it. Steilow put a bunch in his Camaros before switching over to T-56's. I have been told its a better shifting tranny than a T-56 but never miss on a power shift. You can buy new ones for $2200, so very few anymore get rebuilt. Here is the best link I have found for ZF info. They have rebuilt a bunch and have parts available. ZF-6 speed info (http://zfdoc.com/about_ZP.htm)

Mike

funcars
08-09-2005, 07:42 AM
The ZF's also will make a lot of noise in neutral if you have a light flywheel and a big cam. The final overdrive is also geared too high for many applications.

Charley Lillard
08-09-2005, 12:09 PM
I have a ZF in the Red Witch and it does shift much nicer than any T56 I have had. It has held up for 20K miles. If it wasn't for the parts availablity problem you guys are talking about I would go with a ZF every time.

chicane67
08-09-2005, 07:23 PM
The ZF's also will make a lot of noise in neutral if you have a light flywheel and a big cam.

It'll make noise even with the stock fly and cam..... which is one reason GM went with a 'dual-mass' flywheel, so that they could dampen it somewhat as not to scare those who cant handle noises. But to fix that most of the time...... all you have to do is make the exhaust note a little louder or turn up the radio to cover it up.

If they could just 'cog'-spring load the cluster and input, make the parts available and not make it so expensive for the tools it takes to re-build one..... I would use them a-lot more.

GMJim
08-14-2005, 12:06 PM
sfpaintball
Are you sure it's a ZF? ZF's were used up until 96 with a LT1/LT4 engine. Don't the LS1's 97 and up use a rear mounted BW.
Jim

sfpaintball
08-15-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't know much about corvettes, so bear with me.

zf tag on it, s6-40 tranny. I didn't bother to check further when I decided that wasn't going into my car.

MuscleRodz
08-15-2005, 08:55 PM
I wonder if it is a ZR-1 tranny because I don't think they will interchange with the LT-1's

Mike

GMJim
08-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Yep ZF S6-40 is the ZF 6 speed used from 90 to 96. This tranny is a nice piece. Tremendously expensive to rebuild. I have one in my 92. It's smooth as silk. I wouldn't want to rebuild it though. Unless it's in real good shape I would stay away from it. The dual mass flywheel was necessary to keep this tranny from being noisey while idling. There are better and cheaper choices out there.
Jim