PDA

View Full Version : Narrowed 9" 69 camaro with dse wheel tubs?

Divine69
01-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Hey guys, I wondering if any one was narrowing there rear ends with dse mini tubs. I'm going with either a quadralink or ridetech 4 link. I'm going to order my 9 inch soon and im trying to figure out what everyone else has done. Looking to run an 18 with a 335. I was thinking of just one inch on each side. Thanks in advance!

Ron.in.SoCal
01-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Yes sir, everyone I know. WMS to WMS = ~ 54.5 to 55.5" depending on your wheel backspace.

Divine69
01-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks Ron!
So I guess I need to figure out witch brakes I'm using before I can move on. Do you know what stock wms to wms is?

68lovebuzz
01-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Since you say you want to run an 18" wheel I would encourage you to pick a wheel before you do suspension or brakes. Most vendors I have talked to say build the rear end and brakes to fit your wheels, not the other way around. This way you can avoid problems with perfect fitment. I know I should have done it this way but didn't and now might have to run a spacer to get perfect fitment with max rubber and wheel. Just a thought. Cheers.

TheJDMan
01-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Pick your wheels FIRST!!!! Let me repeat that. Pick your wheels FIRST!!!! Once you have the wheels/tires you can mock them up under the car and position them exactly where you want them in the wheel well. Then measure the exact WMS to WMS distance between the wheels. This will be the measurement you need for the final axle width minus the thickness of the brake rotor hats. Do NOT rely on someone elses measurements because they may or may not be correct for your car and your wheels. This is the only way to make your wheels fit your car the way you want without using spacers. I was told I needed a 55.5" wide axle but it would have been too narrow. Once I had my wheels mocked up under the car I found the correct width for my combination was actually 57". If I had ordered a 55.5" axle I would have had to run a 3/4" spacer on each wheel. So do youself a favor and buy your wheels first then work from there.

Divine69
01-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks Brian and Steve!
Sounds like great advice. I think I'm going to run Forgelines and figured they could make any offset.
This is the first car Ive built with a mini tub so your help and experience is appreciated.

armourmark
01-10-2013, 07:00 AM
I am fairly sure stock wms to wms is 60" (on a 67 camaro)

TheJDMan
01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Here is a good overview of exactly what is the WMS measurement is all about.

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?93536-What-is-the-WMS-measurement-(Wheel-Mount-Surface)

Divine69
01-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks again Steve. That's a great thread.

Todd in Vancouver
02-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Pick your wheels FIRST!!!! Let me repeat that. Pick your wheels FIRST!!!! Once you have the wheels/tires you can mock them up under the car and position them exactly where you want them in the wheel well. Then measure the exact WMS to WMS distance between the wheels. This will be the measurement you need for the final axle width minus the thickness of the brake rotor hats. Do NOT rely on someone elses measurements because they may or may not be correct for your car and your wheels. This is the only way to make your wheels fit your car the way you want without using spacers. I was told I needed a 55.5" wide axle but it would have been too narrow. Once I had my wheels mocked up under the car I found the correct width for my combination was actually 57". If I had ordered a 55.5" axle I would have had to run a 3/4" spacer on each wheel. So do youself a favor and buy your wheels first then work from there.

OK, since reading this I've been reading the link on measuring the rear diff and I've managed to confuse myself now so I'm not sure which way is up anymore. Maybe it's just the meds I'm on :rolleyes:

I have a first Gen 12 bolt and my plan was to mini-tub while I replaced rear sheet metal and then install a TCI Autocross type rear suspension set-up and then measure the hole I created and order a set of Rushforth wheels to fill 'em up. Am I wrong on this?:dunno:

Should I be getting my wheels and then modifying the diff to fit because my intentions were to leave the 12 bolt at its stock width and with the mini-tub and order custom built wheels my understanding was I'd be able to fit a 18x12 wheel with a 335-35-18 tire under my '67 Camaro :fingersx:

TheJDMan
02-09-2013, 04:43 PM
The process I recommended above applies to builds where you plan to install a new rear end. That process allows you the flexability to build a custom width rear end in addition to custom wheels. This process gives you complete control over the look and offset of the rear wheels.

However, because you want to reuse the stock width rear end you are locked in to that WMS to WMS dimension which I believe is 60.5". You can obviously have custom wheels made to fit the stock rear but you will not get the deep reverse look.

Gandalf
02-13-2013, 09:36 AM
PM sent.