PDA

View Full Version : Used T56+goodies, opinions please. Price?

lawlorj
01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Came across this ad just surfing the classifieds. Not really ready for the swap yet but have plans for it in the future. Thought if this is a good deal might pick it up while its available so it's around when I get to this part of my build. Basically the ad says its all a 2002 Camaro setup but it was in a 1993' RX7. The guy bought it from someone else with plans to build a car but isn't going through with it. He is asking $2400.

T56 transmission. rebuilt years ago, roughly 5000 miles
steel 3-4 shift fork
modified 1-2 shifter fork
bearings
carbon syncro/blocker kit
billet keys
McLeod RXT twin clutch, 5000 miles
McLeod billet throwout bearing, 5000 miles
Spec Steel Flywheel, aluminum 2000 miles.
MGW shifter 5000 miles
Ram throw out bearing adjuster 100 miles

Ad doesnt mention a bell housing. From what I calculated, the clutch, bearing, flywheel, shifter and adjuster alone would cost roughly $1600 new. Which to me makes it almost worth it, considering most T56s I have seen online range from 1500 to 3000 alone. I'm not sure though, I have never bought a used transmission before. What do you guys think? Also if I go to look at it, what should I look for when inspecting the transmission? Is there any way to tell if its in good condition internally? Not really sure what the 1-2 shifter mod is or the blocker kit, some insight into that would be appreciated as well. Any input at all would help.

Thanks!
Jaime

Ron.in.SoCal
01-06-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't know Jamie. Whenever I see a used tranny I think...is it a good enough deal that I can still rebuild it and be ahead? Cause if not and it needs it, I'm behind. Plus the rest of the parts are used. Does not scream 'deal' to me.

Also explain this: 'Spec Steel Flywheel, aluminum 2000 miles.'

Could be the score of the week, but hard to tell on the internet without a thorough inspection.

lawlorj
01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the insight Ron. That is a great rule of thumb to use when buying something like this. I will keep that in mind.

I don't think its exactly smoking, maybe deal was the wrong word. I just thought it might be a fair price given what is included. Especially when I see them at over $2000, used, just on thier own. Would it be a fair price if say, everything was in decent shape? Trying to get an idea of the market for this stuff.

If I go to look at it is there a way I can give it a quick inspection on the spot? Or anything I should look for that could tell me if it needs a rebuild?

As far as the flywheel, I am a bit confused too. The link and description he provided to the part is a steel one but he says it is aluminum. Would have to verify with the seller.

Thanks again,
Jaime

silvermonte
01-13-2013, 09:28 AM
something to think about is that if that came from a 2002 camaro it is an LS t56 and they are not the same as an older SBC, I paid $1200 for a used t56 from an lt1 camaro with 40k miles on it thinking i got the deal of the century, then i found out what it was going to cost to convert it over to mate to an LS and it would of been more then just buying a new LS t56 with a warranty, so i guess what im saying is if you plan on using it with an LS i would say its worth looking at and if its good you will be money ahead, but if you are using an older SBC i wouldnt bother with it