PDA

View Full Version : water damage

instro84
01-05-2013, 09:47 PM
came home from xmas vacation with about 2 inches of standing water and water still pouring from ceiling from a broken pipe. anyone got any advice or experience with water damage claims i'm new to this. already had plumber come out and identify/repair broken pipe now restoration people are in the process of removing everything that got wet including carpet drywall and tile in kitchen. i been snapping pics of everything and state farm has been pretty good so far, any advice would be appreciated.

shmoov69
01-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Sorry to hear man, that sucks!!

I had a washer hose break once and dump around 20,000gal under the house....via the utility room, kitchen, dining room and living room floors!! LOL! We had State Farm and didn't have any problems at all. Just keep track of ALL your receipts and make sure that the restoration people aren't sticking it to the insurance and force YOU to pay the difference! Make sure that they get dehumidifiers and dry it ALL out because it could cause mold, not a big deal in most cases....but there are a few that create all kinds of problems.

vintageracer
01-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Should be an easy process with insurance. Just make SURE the claim is filed properly under your policy as a water claim.

Always better IF you have pictures of the home before the damage to show the condition before the loss.

It's a good idea every year to take digital pictures with dates of your home inside and outside for insurance purposes just in case you have a loss such as above. Include pictures of items of value and always record the serial numbers of any electronic item you purchase.

mpozzi
01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Your insurance will pay for restoration for the "resulting damage" to the home. This would include carpeting, floors, furniture ... that sort of stuff. It wouldn't cover "the cause" and in your case this would be the broken pipe.

If the cost for these "resulting damage" repairs/restoration are significant, get your homeowners insurance carrier involved. If they're not and something you can afford to pay for "out of pocket," do that instead.

Mary P.

instro84
01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
thanks for the tips, yea state farm told me i'll have to pay for the cause, it was 80 bux to the plumber and he recommended i run my evaporative cooler plumbing outside the hose instead of in the attic so i'll take care of that. Mary, the damage to drywall and carpet will be at least a few grand and then there's household goods so state farm is covering that.

Jetfixr320
01-06-2013, 03:50 PM
I had water damage a few years back. State Farm told me not to throw anything away untill the adjuster came to look.
Did their estimate and cut me a check minus the deductable. Also told me to save any and all reciepts for repairs and replacements. So if I went over their esitimate I would be reimbursed.

instro84
01-06-2013, 04:34 PM
thanks Jetfixr, yea i been looking up replacement cost for everything gonna go shoot mere pics here in a bit, hopefully adjuster can get out tommororw. i'm gonna have to find contractors too, alotta drywall and carpet to replace.

Jetfixr320
01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
I did my own tear out, rented the dehumidifiers, insulated and helped the drywaller. Walls and ceiling was 16 sheets of drywall.