PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about blower for 55 , where do I start ?

ProTeal55
08-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey ,

I am thinking about doing some sort of blower setup on my 55 over the winter , and i am overwhelmed on where/how to start the project.

The first issue I am having is which manf. to go with. Do I go with Procharger or Vortech ? I have heard good and bad things about both companies. From what I have read the Vortech setup uses a box design , where Procharger needs a new blow-thru carb.

The motor in the car now is a simple , low compression 350 , so lots of bost , for now , is not the main objective. Down the road I would like to make a decent amout of boost , so flex-a-bility is def. a plus..

I just think it would be killer to have a basically stock looking 55 bel-air , on 4'' wide whitewalls , whistlin down the road =)

So , Where do I start ?

PT73Nova
08-08-2005, 06:17 PM
I dont know alot, but i do know some. Both companies are very good. For that type of a supercharger. Personally, i prefer ATI procharger only because most of there blowers are self-contained. Meaning, there is no oil lines going from the blower to your old pan. ATI is alil more expensive, but ive heard they are the best. I know this is opinion. I would probally call each company and see what they say. You didnt say what kind of pistons you have (cast, hyper, forged) or what your compression is. (you did say low so im guessing 8:1?). Cast crank and rods can take about 500HP. According to the procharger book i have. You can use cast pistons for blowers, but only small boost. Hypers can take more but then they are toast, they are gone. Forged is really the only way to go. You can also intercool your motor, which you can run higher boost than you could normally run w/o a intercooler. I beleive both require a blow-thru carb. umm, im not positive my information is 100% but im pretty sure what ive told is true. Of course their are other people on the forum that know more than me but like i said, i dont know everything. I hope this helps..

D Rock
08-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Both require a blow threw carb, vortech for show, procharger for go imo. Procharger does not require the oil feed lines depending on which model you go with so that is a plus.

ProTeal55
08-09-2005, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the info , and keep it comming.....:headbang:

The motor in the car now is stock , with about 8:1 compression. The good-ol-boy who had the car before me pulled it out of a truck , did a few things , and threw it in the car. Just a cruiser , that makes 250hp on a good day..

Just want to get a blower setup on their , and get all the bugs worked out before I build a new motor that is able to handle lots of PSI. And if the old motor blows , :drive2: then that just gives me more of a push to build a better one :yeah:

From what I have read / Heard , Procharger is the way to go for power , but in this project I am actually more concerned about reliability / streetability.