PDA

View Full Version : 69 Firebird aftermarket fenders

JLM
08-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Does anybody have any experiance with reproduction fenders sold by either Year One or Ames Performance. After speaking with Ames they advised that the repros they sell are not of very good quality.

Does anyone have experiance with these. I'm guessing the Year One offering is likely manufactured by the same people.

My drivers side fender lower portion towards to door was completely corroded out with a hole the size of a grape fruit. The corrosion also heavily pitted and damged the structural bonded panel behind the fender skin. I was able to place a patch panel in this location, but because of the amount of welding the fender now has a large bow in it that I'm not sure I'll be completely able to work out.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Jason

Tom Welch
08-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Try contacting Frank's Pontiac Parts. He usually has a good selection of used parts for sale.

67bird
08-08-2005, 08:08 PM
I recently seen some on ebay that looked to be in really good shape. Also when you replaced the patch did you replace the inner structure? The inner structure part is avalible through Ames if you need it. Also did you butt-weld the patch in or did you flange the piece in?

JLM
08-09-2005, 03:55 AM
the piece was flanged in from the bottom.

We did not replace the structural member but we did retain as much of it as possible.