PDA

View Full Version : Stock caliper vs. TRSD Signature Series

john31s
12-25-2012, 08:23 PM
I recently purchased the signature series brake kit from the right stuff detailing. While I was unpacking the boxes I put the 13" rotor next to a stock rotor from my 1970 Pontiac Lemans i had lying around, and the new rotor is massive in comparison. I then compared the pads to what i currently have on my car and they are roughly the same size. Then when i check them against the new rotor they leave a 1/5 untouched. Now I will not be using this kit because of fitment issues but this got me wondering, if the swept area and line pressure is close enough what will I be gaining by going to bigger brakes? I understand a larger rotor will take longer to heat up and that a multi-piston caliper will spread the load more evenly over the pad. But I would swear the pad on my original brake setup has a larger surface area compared to the new setup I was going to run.

I know someone here will have the right answer so thanks for the help, and Merry Christmas.

Skip Fix
12-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Some of the improvement is a better(longer) lever action with even the same caliper(why Gm used 12 " rotors on some wagons and police cars same caliper)you get with a larger diameter rotor.