PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinions/thoughts

JayBird
08-08-2005, 03:57 AM
I have a 355 6.250 rod SBC with 10.8 CR.
Comp cams hydraulic roller 230/236 @.050 - .510/.520 lift
Bowtie heads 184 intake runners with 2.02I -1.60E. Exhaust ports had some minor porting. Currently has beehive springs with 1.7 Int -1.6 Ex crower rockers, stud girdle and rev kit. Cam lift with rockers us now .570 ish lift on intake and .555 on exhaust.

I am now wanting to change my cam to a solid roller, because I am not happy with the rpm's of a hydraulic roller. 6700rpm's is the limit when peak HP is at 6300. I want to be able to turn this motor 7500 if I need to and I know a comparable solid roller will allow me to turn the engine the rpms I am desiring.

Along with this cam change I was thinking about switching to some aluminum heads. I was looking at the Brodix race-rite 200 heads. Will or shouldn't these heads help with my configuration of new cam etc?

I know this is a long post, but wanted to give all info, so hopefully you guys can give me a somewhat informed opinion.

Please help.

kmcanally
08-08-2005, 04:26 AM
Regarding the solid roller there is some concerns with low rpm durability with the solid roller lifters because the needle bearings are not pressure fed. Since solid rollers were intended for race applications they relied on the splash oiling at high rpms. However Isky markets a "Red Zone" lifter with pressure fed bearings and extra oiling on the nose of the cam. They are pricy at over $600 set but cheaper than an engine rebuild after a bearing takes a crap.

http://www.iskycams.com/redzone.php

If you really want ultimate durability with a solid roller on the street then consider these lifters from Shubeck Racing. These are almost $1000 set but probably well worth it. Great design eliminates the needle bearing.

http://www.schubeckracing.com/rollerx.html

I have a Crower solid roller in a SBF in a 68 Mustang that is about to be fired up for the first time in a few more weeks. I am using regular old solid roller lifters that I bought before learning about the durability problems. Hopefully they hold up until I get my next engine built with the Shubecks.

JayBird
08-08-2005, 04:48 AM
thanks for the info. I also read the other day that comp cams has come out with a new solid roller lifter to help with oiling on the needle bearings.

jay web
08-08-2005, 08:28 AM
twin turbo -- step up, man, please.

JayBird
08-08-2005, 09:37 AM
You're talking major league and I'm hoping for single A. I'm waiting for you to go that route :fingersx: