PDA

View Full Version : 1968 z28

Pro Stock
12-23-2012, 10:03 AM
I am considering selling our 68 Z28 project car.
It was an abosolutely rust free California car, it had been in a front end collision and no longer had the original engine or transmission. I have had the car since 1981, I put a good original sub frame in it ( in the early eighties they didn't make aftermarket frames) and drove it to my new home in Ohio in 1984. I then tore the car apart in 1987 and started my project. The car was originally Kelly Green with white stripes, I replaced all of the front sheetmetal with parts from Classic Industries and repainted the car with another original color, Corvette Bronze with Tuxedo Black stripes. From the Firewall back all of the parts are factory original including the 4:10 12 bolt rearend, the car has all of the factory sheetmetal from the firewall back. The paint and bodywork was done by a friend that is a painter/bodyman at the Honda factory in Marion Ohio. The car has got about 65,000 miles on it

To finish the car itself would take recovering the interior (originally Standard black) I have the seats, a new console, and a black carpet kit.
The engine needs finished, It is a 423ci Small Block consisting of a Merlin "Little M" block with all machine work except for finish hone, Lunati stroker crank, Lunati steel rod, SRP forged pistons (4.168 bore) Speed Pro rings, coated bearings, ATI balancer, and other misc. 18 degree GM heads, Ported by myself (Dale Eicke, Google me) Jesel valve train, matching GM aluminum intake manifold ( the heads and manifold was the latest NASCAR stuff untill they switched to the SB2. Bullet cam and roller lifters.

It also has a NEW TKO-600 5 speed blueprinted by Liberty Transmissions. There are more parts but I just wanted to give a general descripton of the car. I also have a Vintage Air system for it and a Painless wireing harness.

To make a long story short, what's it worth?

Thanks, Dale

Pro Stock
12-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Lot's of views, no opinions?

Hugger67RSSS
12-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Have you asked around on team Camaro? Seems more like the place someone would want a Z28. Hard to judge the price without being numbers matching. If you have a protecto plate that will help too.

Pro Stock
12-25-2012, 02:18 PM
I was not restoring to a numbers matching "correct" car, I described it as a project car, my intent was to make it into a P/T, thus explaining the engine (far from being correct) and other parts listed. I have also asked about estimated value on Team Camaro. I'm sure that somebody over there will ask me why I didn't ask the question on a forum like Pro-Touring G-Machines. The car is a Z28, I didn't realize that that disqualified it as a Pro Touring machine.......Whew, good thing I didn't waste my time and money finishing it! (sarcasm button) haha

analyte
12-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I didn't see a ballpark price nor pictures in your fishing expedition. That might help validate the ad so as go get more responses.

Hugger67RSSS
12-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Never said it wasn't pro-touring. It for sure could be. But you aren't gonna get Z28 money for it especially since its a 68. Didn't need the attitude.

XLexusTech
12-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Problem with 68's is their is no way of validating them... so as a result a 68 Z28... short of one with extensive documentation, pictures from 68-70's, ect.. might as well be a 6 banger.. Nobody will touch them as a real anything... JMHO.. consider selling the drive train.. then taking a stab at a number,, 6500 for the rest...
GLWS.

Van B
12-25-2012, 05:05 PM
More details about the car would be helpful. We have to assume stock suspension is currently in the car. Photos would also help. How about selling it less engine?

Pro Stock
12-26-2012, 02:18 PM
More details about the car would be helpful. We have to assume stock suspension is currently in the car. Photos would also help. How about selling it less engine?

I does have stock Z28 suspension and posi differential in the back, and the stock Z suspension and brakes in the front except for a Gulstrand front swaybar that I added in 1984 and new front springs. I didn't want to post photos of the car only because I am only in the initial stages of making my mind up about selling the car, I didn't want this to appear to be a for sale add in this thread. Once I get an Idea as to value then I can make up my mind as to whether I should try to finish it, sell it as is complete or part it out. Ultimately I feel that the car would fetch the most finished but right now I don't have the $$$$ to finish it.
Thanks for your input, Dale

Problem with 68's is their is no way of validating them... so as a result a 68 Z28... short of one with extensive documentation, pictures from 68-70's, ect.. might as well be a 6 banger.. Nobody will touch them as a real anything... JMHO.. consider selling the drive train.. then taking a stab at a number,, 6500 for the rest...
GLWS.

I'm trying to get an idea for what the car might be worth not as a Z28 but as the described condition and the parts that would come with it, just trying to get a ballpark.

Thanks for the advice
Dale

Never said it wasn't pro-touring. It for sure could be. But you aren't gonna get Z28 money for it especially since its a 68. Didn't need the attitude.

Sorry, No attitude intended towards you personally, I was just expressing my frustration over the wording of my post. I obviously gave the impression that I was trying to sell the car as a Z28. I am like a father bragging about his kid (nobody cares) haha. About two years ago I asked on the other forum what my differential was worth (I was going to put a nine inch in it) Well I got three or four replies from guys telling me what an idiot I was for not keeping the car correct, so I guess that I'm still a little gun shy about asking questions, again I apologize.

Dale

Hugger67RSSS
12-26-2012, 02:37 PM
No harm, not worried about it. I think the value of the car will vary. Some people will want LS and fuel injection. Some may want the motor you have. Without pics if it is solid as you say I would guess 7-10k as a roller. The motor is hard to predict

Van B
12-26-2012, 07:57 PM
No harm, not worried about it. I think the value of the car will vary. Some people will want LS and fuel injection. Some may want the motor you have. Without pics if it is solid as you say I would guess 7-10k as a roller. The motor is hard to predict

I agree. I would be a buyer in this price range as a roller if the body and paint were very nice. Again, it is hard to tell without pics. Even from a notable builder like yourself, an old school small block is a hard sell with this crowd these days.

i will PM you my email. Please send some pics if you would sell in this price range as a roller.